Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to ship a tenor from Kansas City to Fresno CA...

What method should I use.?

How much will this weigh (case, horn, and all) approx?

It is in a padded hard shell contoured case.

I have key clamps on the horn already..and will pack the horn inside the case to eliminate excess movement in shipping.

What should I pack around the case in the shipping box.??

UPS gave some god awful quote of $500 plus based on dimensions and weight of which I guessed on..

I know it won't be that much but I'm curious what it should cost for priority USPS service..

ANY HELP??

Thanks,
Hersch

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,886 Posts
Hi Hersch, Bear at Cybersax.com has answered most or all of your questions. Google returns this link immediately with a search on "packing saxophone" (no quotes) if you ever need to locate it again.

The two most important issues are to make sure the horn is immobilized inside the case and make sure the case is surrounded on all sides by a few inches of packing material. In most cases the packing material is overkill; it's there to protect the horn that will inevitably get dropped.

Gayle at vintagesax.com also recommends using a "bell chock", a chunk of carboard that covers the bell so that material can be wedged between the bell and accessories compartment to help immobilize the horn.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I've gotten three horns shipped to Hawaii, 2 tenors and a bari, USPS. Both tenors were wrapped in bubblewrap, put in a box with about 3'' of peanuts. As I recall, one of them may have been double boxed.

The yamaha bari was in its original 'coffin' case, with a sort of customized box surrrounded by sheets of styro.

I wouldn't send anything UPS ever. They're horribly overpriced, and I've had computer equipment damaged that was shipped here. Plus they're total a***oles to deal with if something gets damaged.

I'm sure that others have more experience than I at sending horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
shipping

Go either ups ground or fedex ground....shipping should be only around 30 dollars at most..fully insured

1 - 5 of 5 Posts