Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread from a year ago talks about neck cork shim “fixes.” Teflon thread tape (i.e. plumber’s tape) and waxed chewing gum wrappers (among other things) were mentioned.

Does anyone know of other “tricks” or actual accessories to address this. Mal2 also mentioned painting the inside of the mpc shank (to decrease its inside diameter). What kind of paint would you use for that and do you put it on in multiple layers until you get the necessary thickness?

I was recently co-miserating with SactoPete on a thread about how the shank bore of my STM Link is larger than other mpcs and getting a snug fit often required re-corking the neck specifically for that mpc. I’d like to be able to swap out mpcs with minimal “rigging” to get a snug fit.

Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
While it would require much more work than paint or other options, why not look into having a bronze insert made for the STM?

Something where you (or someone else) could fit it to where it's snug enough to stay put, but you could take it out later down the road if you so chose to do so.

Just a thought...though I have not done it myself, I'm sure someone would be capable of doing it for you (provided the I.D. needs to be reduced enough that there would be more than just a foil thick insert).

Although not as much of a DIY depending on your fab. skills, I can't think of a method that is any more worry free in the long haul.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
The only 100% effective and long lasting solution is to purchase a 2nd neck whose cork is fit to that mouthpiece.
the real only 100% effective and long lasting solution is to learn to use one mouthpiece for everything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
just use a piece of paper... it works, its easy, its cheap, and its not permanent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts