Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man no one seems to be talking about this guy! I searched him up and he's so amazing, he has this great soulful, bluesy vibe, and has monster chops to boot! No wonder he's the lead player for JALC(I think...). Well I'm wondering if any of you guys have any recordings of him that you would recommend.

here's a clip of him playing some blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGaIqvkIDe0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL there are other clips of this concert on this channel.

·
15,966 Posts
Get his CD "Big Mama's Biscuits" You will like it.

·
2,766 Posts
Pretty sure Ted Nash is the lead for JALC. But yeah, Sherman Irby is totally great. What a sound!
Sherman plays lead.

He plays an RS Berkeley Virtuoso alto these days.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get his CD "Big Mama's Biscuits" You will like it.
Thanks for the info belliott I'll go check the album out.

Sherman plays lead.

He plays an RS Berkeley Virtuoso alto these days.
Thanks for clearing that up Andy, btw I checked out some of the stuff on your site with your orchestra, man you sound "sweet".

Pretty sure Ted Nash is the lead for JALC. But yeah, Sherman Irby is totally great. What a sound!
Yeah man Sherman sounds amazing, including the other clips of this concert man.

He sounds great in that video! I love how laid back he is. There is so much space between the notes you could drive a truck through there. He sounds like he has nothing to prove...........just playing the music.
Yeah Steve I loved the clip he just sounds so damn great on it. Did you check out the other clips on the channel of this concert? He plays a whole bunch of great stuff on it.

p.s. 1000 post :), haha now I think it's time to hit the woodshed.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bruce Edwards was pretty damn good on guitar, too. Thanks for the link!
No Prob Buck, and yeah all of those guys in those clips played pretty damn good.

·
2,766 Posts
Sherman had a camera crew at Cecil's at that gig. They made a whole video. I actually recorded the audio for that with Sherman's laptop. Alvester plays in my big band as well. He also plays with Regina Carter. Bruce Edwards freelances around NYC area. He known a million tunes and is a coffee connoisseur.

I've known Sherman since 1995. We were in the Lincoln Center band together for a while. Back then, he was playing 2nd alto. He left in '97 to join Roy Hargrove and Ted Nash replaced him. When Wess Anderson cut out, Sherman came back in the band on lead.

I produced his first 2 CDs on Blue Note. "Full Circle" and "Big Mamma's Biscuits"
Here he is with my band at Birdland. The drummer in this photo is, the late, Brian Grice subbing for Alvester.
View attachment 27536
Check out Sherman's new CD, "Live at the Otto Club" from a live gig in Italy. He also made a CD with the band from that video called "Organonmics".

·
Registered
919 Posts
Andy, that looks like a Mk6 he is playing. Has he dumped that??

It also looks like a long shank soloist. Is that correct?

Great video

·
2,766 Posts
Andy, that looks like a Mk6 he is playing. Has he dumped that??

It also looks like a long shank soloist. Is that correct?

Great video
He plays the Berkeley with [email protected] The mouthpiece is the hull of a Selmer long shank but the chamber has been ground out to be round all the way through like a Meyer. He still has his #158k mk6 alto.

The video was made before the Virtuoso horns were available.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Andy, thanks for the info.

Ive never heard of this "grounding out" idea. Very interesting.

Ive played a long shank E for years on my mk 6, and hanker now after a more open/spread sound. Not sure I will have the courage to do this to my soloist though!!!

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He plays the Berkeley with [email protected] The mouthpiece is the hull of a Selmer long shank but the chamber has been ground out to be round all the way through like a Meyer. He still has his #158k mk6 alto.

The video was made before the Virtuoso horns were available.
That sounds really interesting Andy. Do you know who did the chamber mod, and do you know if it has been refaced or not? And if it was do you know what tip it was refaced to.
Thanks in advance,
Jack

·
2,766 Posts
That sounds really interesting Andy. Do you know who did the chamber mod, and do you know if it has been refaced or not? And if it was do you know what tip it was refaced to.
Thanks in advance,
Jack
I think it was Ted Klum. Sherman has been looking for a backup for years. So far, no one has been able to duplicate the piece. I think it was only chamber work, the facing might be a stock Selmer "E". He uses Vandoren V16 #4 reeds.

·
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it was Ted Klum. Sherman has been looking for a backup for years. So far, no one has been able to duplicate the piece. I think it was only chamber work, the facing might be a stock Selmer "E". He uses Vandoren V16 #4 reeds.
Wow thanks for the info Andy it's really helpful. And are there any particular recordings of Sherman that you'd recommend?

·
1,877 Posts
He sounds great in that video! I love how laid back he is. There is so much space between the notes you could drive a truck through there. He sounds like he has nothing to prove...........just playing the music.
Totally laid back, had me on the end of my seat waiting for the next phrase. Great stuff

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
cool video and great feel and timing from the band. i had to watch all his videos to get more of that soul music.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
That's the thing. Beautiful playing, love his use of dynamics and relaxed phrasing. Great lesson in patience.

Yeah, man!!!!

shawn

·
3,494 Posts
His sound reminds me of King Curtis.. Love it.

OT. The screws on his lig looking from the front make him look like
he has a set of those fake buck teeth in.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Right now, I'm listening to Irby play "Four" as a ballad from "Live at the Otto Club". As most players take it way up, its easy to forget that it is actually a pretty melody...particularly in the hands of a player like Irby!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts