Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am in Brasil at the moment and i went into a store to look for just a MIDI to USB cable but ended up looking at some saxophones they had. I saw 2 sopranos (i want one lol) and asked to look at it. he gave me a used one to look at and hold. it was 999 real about US$700-800 i would think. i wanted to see the new one but he wouldn't let me(because he didn't think i could afford it and it was new) this one was 1,200 real or about US$1000 plus or minus some. its brand is shelter but i cant ind anything on them (all the pages are in Portuguese and i see no reviews of it) if i find its a good brand i might be able to swing my mom to buy it (if i throw in 300 real too lol).

so have any of you head of shelter saxophones, is it a small part of a bigger company to be sold in Brasil only. i will most likely go back and ask to play it but not sure if he will let me play the new one. please help this is a possible new sax for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,360 Posts
Interesting sales technique!!

I've never heard of the Shelter brand but that means little. Most inexpensive saxophones these days are made in Asia, outside of Japan, and anyone with the financial where-with-all can arrange for a dozen gross (or whatever minimum number a manufacturer requires) of soprano saxophones with their own name on it and with whatever features the buyer orders. The trick for the potential customer at the end of the sales line is knowing the distributor and their reputation for quality products bearing their name. Some care, some don't.

At that price, I'd demand to play it first or else walk out after telling him he just lost a sale. DAVE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i really would like to be able to play it but unfortunately that's how all people are in Brasil. If you don't look like you could buy it they ignore you (or don't let you look at the saxophone in my instance). i did some more research and it lead me to a company called Habro music. witch seems to own(or possibly manufacture for) a lot of big companies but its hard to tell as i don't speak Portuguese and Google translate can only tell me so much. on the top of their rather high tec looking website are links to all the Brasilian versions (as i think this is a brasilian company) of some big music companies such as Ableton,AKAI, Jupiter,and Rythmtech. i don't know if i can post links on this forum but if you just google "habro music" its the first website. If habro music really does own all these companies (or manufacture for them) this could be a decent horn, but still i would want to play it regardless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts