I have bought 5 books from Hal & Leonard and they are often wrong
I read concert pitch, no problem there

the sinatra centennial songbook
missing some of his most popular songs
added pages to songs that he never used
wrong words
All of which I fix from youtube recordings
but this turned out to be a problem with all non-classical songbooks so far
I dont want to hear excuses for these issues, as a consumer I feel entitled to a better product.
I am interested in fixes or better sources

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
Most sheet music is wrong? Wow. Too bad Hal didn’t consult with you on song selection and which versions to include...obviously a mistake no one should make. Yeah. If you want to make sure your charts are perfect write them yourself. Doesn’t the publishing company have an email address you can write to?

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Hal Leonard probably bought the rights to the original sheet music from when it was published. That is not going to be exactly the way Sinatra performed it.

If you want to replicate people's recorded performances using published sheet music as a guide, you have to listen to the recording you want to reproduce and figure out how it differs from the sheet music. You'll have to do that yourself. This is part of being a full-function musician.

If you're considering a studio recording, keep in mind that Sinatra probably engaged an arranger to write arrangements (which will not have been identical to the published sheet music), and then once in the studio those arrangements would have been cut, added onto, tags added or deleted, verse/chorus road map changed - heck, with that caliber of musicians, you can set a Bily May chart down in front of them and tell them "play this, but in E instead of F" and they'll nail it.

If you're considering a live recording, keep in mind that it's highly likely Sinatra had a word with the band leader before the show and said things like
"now on this one, I'm going to drop the second verse altogether and just rap to the audience, and I'll come back in on the bridge - but take it up a half step when I do". The band leader would drop a word to the musicians and they'd just do it.

So, in summary, it's pretty naive to expect that published sheet music will exactly reproduce one particular recording. Get out your staff paper and pencil.

For some of the well known recorded songs of Sinatra, you can buy acccurate transcriptions of the actual recordings, or at least you can buy copies of the original charts (mostly by Billy May and Nelson Riddle). I have played many of these over the years. You can expect to pay >$100 per chart. So, an alternative approach to the staff paper and pencil is to bring money. Lots of money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts
I dont want to hear excuses for these issues, as a consumer I feel entitled to a better product.
Following are several fixes or better sources, none of them excuses:

So, have you complained to Hal Leonard?
If you want to make sure your charts are perfect write them yourself. Doesn’t the publishing company have an email address you can write to?
Hal Leonard probably bought the rights to the original sheet music from when it was published. If you want to replicate people's recorded performances using published sheet music as a guide, you have to listen to the recording you want to reproduce and figure out how it differs from the sheet music. You'll have to do that yourself.

... it's pretty naive to expect that published sheet music will exactly reproduce one particular recording. Get out your staff paper and pencil.

For some of the well known recorded songs of Sinatra, you can buy acccurate transcriptions of the actual recordings, or at least you can buy copies of the original charts (mostly by Billy May and Nelson Riddle). I have played many of these over the years. You can expect to pay >$100 per chart.
I always take sheet music scores as a departure point, as opposed to the definitive end-all....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,921 Posts

wrong words
You’ve been a member since May and this is your first contribution?

Surely there is a better website for whining.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,874 Posts
Surely there is a better website for whining.
Nope :)

As a consumer you are entitled to sue, or, even better, get other people to join you in a class action.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I cringe when I read these responses. Okay, maybe the OP could have chose their words better but does that mean we have to gang up on them? Can't we be nicer? The OP is just earlier on the path we've all traveled to figuring these things out. Let's not unload on each other, especially newcomers.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
There is plenty of editing and changes to classical works, too.

That's why many people insist on getting urtext versions.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
I cringe when I read these responses. Okay, maybe the OP could have chose their words better but does that mean we have to gang up on them? Can't we be nicer? The OP is just earlier on the path we've all traveled to figuring these things out. Let's not unload on each other, especially newcomers.
Well, it was the OP's option to write something like "I see that the sheet music doesn't correspond with the recordings. Why is that, and what should I do?" in which case people would not have jumped all over him. There's no shame in not knowing things.

But if you come out swinging with a heapin' helpin' of opinionated ignorance, you can expect to get a commensurate response.

·
13,016 Posts
... does that mean we have to gang up on them? Can't we be nicer? ... Let's not unload on each other, especially newcomers.
I thought the responses (which I listed in my post) were reasonable and practical, not "ganging up" or "unloading" – things like contacting Hal Leonard, making your own corrections, explaining that the publisher published the original sheet music and not the music for the recording that you want the music for, buying the arrangement of the recording you want to have the music for, and understanding that the sheet music is only a starting point for figuring out how you want the sheet music to be. If I wanted to gang up or unload, I would have said expecting published song books to be accurate down to the same tunes, arrangements, words, pages as what you heard in recordings is ... well, I won't say something not nice. I still think the responses have been helpful and on point.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts

wrong words
Sir, there's a HUGE difference between sheet music/song books and transcriptions. I politely suggest you learn that difference.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Sir, there's a HUGE difference between sheet music/song books and transcriptions. I politely suggest you learn that difference.
Yes, OP, consider the price too.

If you want to pay $30-40 for a collection of 20 or 30 songs, you'll get the original published sheet music, possibly re-typeset; or a collection of lead sheets.

If you want an accurate transcription of a specific recording, you'll be buying one of those transcriptions I talked about above, with the complete charts of the Billy May or Nelson Riddle arrangements (there were other arrangers too), and you'll be paying $100+ per chart. I'm sure that for many specific recordings no transcription exists for any price because either the original charts have never been made available or no one's ever sat down and transcribed them. Some of the charts you'll have to "know a guy" to get.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
If you want to go paying good money to Jamie Aebersold & co., that's your decision. But please don't come on here whingeing about the quality of the product.

What's wrong with your ears ? Listen to your Sinatra records or whoever else takes your fancy, and write down what you hear. If you don't have perfect pitch and you need to play along with Sinatra (or whoever) to start with, that's fine. You learn the song by ear, then transcribe what you've learnt. Musicians who can't be arsed training their ears give me the screaming abdabs.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
What nonsense. Who buys a playalong and expects the music to be exactly the same as the versions done by their favorite artists? Really? So if I buy a copy of "I Should Care" should it be the Sinatra version or the Hank Mobley version. I really think the name Wizard is not applicable for the OP.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
1,994 Posts
Psst... OP has apparently left the building.

·
13,016 Posts
I'm old enough to remember the days when I bought fake books from a guy that kinda looked like this. He met me in the music store and we went out to his car in the parking lot and he opened up his trunk to show me the books he had. I can't remember how much I paid, it might have been $50 which was a lot of money in the 70's.
This guy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts