Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have been having a problem with a sharp upper register on my yamaha 62 tenor. it is only starter from my upper g#. the g# isnt bad but the more you go up the sharper it gets. ive made all the adjustments i can to my technique but believe it the horn. note: it has two VERY small dings in the neck. do you think a new neck will solve the problem?

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Notes high A and above use the neck octave vent. Notes G# down to D use the body octave vent. To see the effect of the octave vent on the pitch play low A then high A with the same embouchure and then release the octave key. You will see on the tuner the sharpness added when the neck octave vent is open. You can do the same test on A#, B, C, and C#. Typically the B's octaves are the most in tune because of the neck vent's "compromise" position. The A and C# are typically the most sharp both being 2 half steps away from the ideal vent position for the B.

I have had some success in bringing sharp high A's down in pitch by using Curt Alterac's "Pantyhose Technique". Sharp palm keys can be corrected by lowering key height and/or adding crescents to the toneholes.

It is also important to remember that playing too high on the mouthpiece pitch exacerbates the normal saxophone intonation tendencies. Make sure that the pitch of the mouthpiece and neck alone is close to an E concert and the mouthpiece pitch is no higher than a G concert. This needs to be the starting point before any intonation corrections are attempted on the sax.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi Saxybiatch. Is this horn a newer 62 II or older 62?

There was some issues with the newer Yamahas awhile back concerning the neck. Which I believe was corrected with a new improved neck. I played an 82 Z that just would not play in tune. Don't know if it was the neck on that one.

Played other ones that sounded great.

If you have answered all the above questions and checked out what Jbtsax said then go to this link.

Heck go there anyway.

http://www.steveduke.net/pdf/steve_duke_mouthpiece_placement.pdf

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Keyheight adjustment is always a prime suspect....

I tend to think it's either embouchure or keyheights not properly set...those are the two most common issues.

Do a little test...overblow the octaves (i.e. play the second register w/o using the octave key....just tighten up the mouth and purposely try to jump up an octave).

Then, do the same notes with the octave key. Do the notes sounds the same ? Or are the octave key notes worse than the overblowing notes ?

It shouldn't be mouthpiece because it's a contemporary horn. And I am not one to believe the neck 'needs' replacing. Unless the neck is damaged (i.e. significant dents)...it is unlikely to be that. Not impossible, but not one of the more common occurrences.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts