Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure lots of you out there have things you've done to the hardware you use, improvised fixes that have made your life easier, and your playing, easier and more fun. Share them!

So, here are four things I did to upgrade my setup:

1. Problem: Vandoren Optimum ligature too big for Drake soprano mouthpiece. Solution: glue two metal rods (ex-nails) to the original plate to make the inner diameter smaller. I tried different configurations, and this one, with two parallel bars holding the reed, works best.

2. Problem: I wanted to raise the LH palm D, but not to use epoxy. So, I turned to the rubber key risers: they feel good, but tend to slip off the key when played. The opening through which you slip them on to the key does not hold the damn thing in place.
Solution: slit the riser on the bottom, slide it on to the key with the opening facing away from you (pointing down), sew the bottom of the riser, and it will not go anywhere until you decide to remove it.

3. Problem: sticking octave key. Lead powder, dollar bills, that special paper: nothing worked.
Solution: wrap one layer of teflon tape on to the key. Does not stick, ever.

4. Problem: where's that saxophone stand when you need it?
Solution: this is a little thing I made of bamboo, for laying the horn down without placing any stress on keys. With my SC 992 soprano, it keeps all keys off the table, plus the horn lies with all key holes pointing up, so condensation and spit do not drip on to any pad. I carry this little thing in my case, just in case...

Here are some photos:

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Clever and creative fixes indeed. I especially like the teflon tape on the octave key thing - will see if I can implement a similar fix to the G# key on some of my sopranos.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Used this ligature setup on a session once when my lig snapped the night before. Turned out that it played surprisingly well:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the colors!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
1000 grit sand paper and some teflon powder would have solved that sticky octave key, and you wouldn't be looking at teflon tape. :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
4. Problem: where's that saxophone stand when you need it?
Solution: this is a little thing I made of bamboo, for laying the horn down without placing any stress on keys. With my SC 992 soprano, it keeps all keys off the table, plus the horn lies with all key holes pointing up, so condensation and spit do not drip on to any pad. I carry this little thing in my case, just in case...
Handy, but a bit dangerous. The horn doesn't have far to fall, but if it's bumped, it will fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts