Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old man plays the French horn, and he`s shaking while he plays. Now, I understand this is a sax forum, but I figured I could ask you anyway.

He`s been playing for about 30 years, and he have no problem with this while sitting down when he plays. But if he plays when standing up he starts shaking. It`s not a "fast" shaking, it`s more like the "slow" shakings of an old person. He does not, however, shake when not playing, ever.

Do any of you have any experience with this? What should he do about it?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
If it's a problem, he should see a doctor. He should probably see a doctor anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
:evil: A question for Gary maybe? (sorry Gary, couldn't resist)

Seriously though - what does your father think about it himself? I really don't know anything about playing the French horn standing up - it seems nothing too easy to me for anyone at any age.

Reine

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone shaking when playing any instrument. I have heard of people that stop shaking when playing instruments. It sounds like a medical pros opinion is in order. I'd stay away from any internet advice.

·
Registered
297 Posts
+1 for Bebopalot's answer. I'm in my sixties and I notice there is more movement sometimes in my playing when I'm standing but I'm not aware of anything like a "shake". Talk with your dad about it. It's not helpful to notice something that could be a problem and not say anything. He may be aware of it or not. I feel the strain of standing up with my tenor for a long time, much more than I did 20 years ago. But again, there are a host of things that could be causing this. It's most likely a medical question, not a saxophone issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts