Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting in February 2019 there will be an open Jam the first Sunday night of the month, running through the summer.

This is at my church, which may sound strange to folks, but for about 5 months now, we've been having a once-a-month Jazz Vespers service on the first Sunday. Vespers is the evening service. We've re-written the standard liturgy, there's a lot of music and all of it is jazz. The service lasts about 30-40 minutes. It's a church service, yes it is, but it's really more of a quiet time on Sunday evening to just settle yourself and think about whatever is running around in your head.

After the service Kim and Sari dish up dinner...yes, we will feed you, and then the jam starts. We'll play for about two hours and wrap up around 8:30- 9:00 PM. ALL levels of players welcome. Bring your Real Book. There's a decent piano, a bass amp, a guitar amp and a drum set. The house band is Bill the choir director on piano..he's an excellent jazz pianist...me on tenor/clarinet...Don, who lives across the street, on bass, and Alan on drums (percussionist in my symphony)

Service starts at 5:30 PM, goes to about 6:00 or 6:15. We start playing around 6:30 PM

Where? Right next door to Stanford University, off of Stanford Avenue..PM me here at SoTW me if you want more information

University Lutheran Church
1611 Stanford Ave. Palo Alto, Ca

http://www.universitylutheran.church/sundayevenings.html

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have to revamp this...we'll have a jam the first
Sunday in January. I'm not sure how the schedule will work out in February, the church is hosting a shelter for a bunch of local homeless women and they bed down in the sanctuary. We'll be back up and running in March, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts