Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing bari sax for 3 months now and have recently become a member of my schools jazz band. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what setup i should use to get a TOP doc Krupka sound. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've been playing bari sax for 3 months now and have recently become a member of my schools jazz band. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what setup i should use to get a TOP doc Krupka sound. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you
It will be a long time before you can attain "his" sound. But I would suggest a Berg Larsen piece with some rico orange box reeds. Gives me a pretty punchy sound.

- J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. thats what i meant was a punchy funk sound. not necessarily a copycat sound. would you recommend a metal or rubber piece

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would use metal. Thats what I use and I also find they are a little more durable, which is a plus for a beginner - lot harder to break a stainless steel piece then it is a hard rubber one.

- J

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
A berg is a good choice for bari, whether rubber or stainless steel. I would recommend a 0 or 1 baffle.

If you want a great piece, get an RPC from Ron Coelho.

http://www.saxmpc.com

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Ron only makes high baffle and rollover. I play the high baffle. It's closer to a 0 or 1.

Before he makes his pieces, he'll chat with you about what sort of a sound you want to go for, and he'll make it happen.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Bergs are probs a little cheaper if you go used, but if you're willing to wait or have the bank the RPC is a great choice too.

- J

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
These suggestions are good - just about anything with some baffle in it will give you a brighter sound with more cut and punch. You may want to check with your instructor before you go too crazy. That Krupka TOP bari sound is very bright. In funk, dance, and rock music the bari needs this type of sound to cut and compete with amplified electronic instruments and blasting trumpets. The bari also has a lot of separate lines from the rest of the horn section that need to be heard. With big band or jazz band music the bari has some of this but in many cases you will need to blend with either the bones or the sax section. Too bright or loud a sound in these cases will spoil the balance and timbre of the sound the writer/arranger is trying to get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts