Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since upgrading from my old Winston soprano to an Antigua 590, I've really had a time finding a mouthpiece that I really like on the Antigua. After trying many different pieces included the Selmer SS, I think I am beginning to setting in on a good ol' Link STM #7.

When I first got the Link, I really didn't like the sound. The piece was just too bright. This is the same issue I had with the Selmer SS. However, the response of the Link was awesome up and down the horn. After working with the piece for over a month, I think I am finally beginning to find the tone I want.

I really like the sound of several of the larger chambered pieces I have tried but the resistance is always too much for comfort. Also, when I record myself or I let my son play, the tone of the large chambered pieces is just not as good as it sounds to me in my head when I'm playing them. On the other hand, the Link STM seems to give better clarity similar to the Selmer SS but with more complexity and timbre. Plus, with time and practice, I seem to be able to balance the timbre and brightness into a better mix that sounds more like a sax and less like a trumpet or snake charmer. I've considered sending the Link to EZ to see if he can darken it a little. But the more I play it, the darker it seems to become.

So I think I am ready to start performing with the Link setup. Response and tone are solid from the bottom all the way up through the palm keys. And the sound is fairly close to what I think I should sound like. I hope that telling my experience might help some you that are still searching for that darker soprano mouthpiece. It just takes lots of experimentation and practice to get there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,247 Posts
Is the chamber and throat design of the STM simliar to the Tone Edge or are these two completely different designs?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,375 Posts
Tony: I found the STM's (in 6*, 7*, and 8*) to be totally different than that Tone Edge 7 you got from me. I found the STM's to be too bright and too harsh for my tastes, but we all differ, eh? My STM's really cut through, but I sure don't need more of that. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I like my STM 7* on my '25 curved Buescher- it gives a nice magnified effect to that nice dark tone of the Buescher- and, it plays in tune!! (better than the original True Tone mouthpiece that came with it. It is a bit too bright on my curved Prestini which is a bright sounding horn as it is. Of course, I haven't been working at it like Enviroguy has- I just play the soprano occasionally. But, after reading this I think I'll get out the sopranos , turn on the smooth jazz station, and play along.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts