Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rented a new more powerful server to house the SOTW Forum and other Sax on the Web pages plus email facilities.

It is a dual-Core Unix system with 2 GB memory (double the current). This should provide a much faster access to the forum and get rid of sluggishness and service denial.

The change-over should commence in a couple of hours. When ready to move over the forum database, the forum will be closed for posting and reading. After that it may take a few hours for the new IP address to propagate in the WWW. When the SOTW Forum will be closed I can still display short message if needed.

Looking forward for an improved forum experience,
-Harri

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,443 Posts
Awesome! And pass the word to the other mods, I think they're doing an excellent job in an otherwise thankless task! Thanks for the forum!

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

There were some problems in getting the new server running.
I expect that the transfer will take couple of more hours.
The forum will be available on the old server as long as possible. When transferring over, the forum will be turned off so, that there will be no data loss.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Harri Rautiainen said:
Except next week when I will be visiting the other shore of the pond.
Anywhere near DC so we can throw you a welcome and thanks party?

·
13,020 Posts
Bill Mecca said:
Hey Harri,

I'm in Jersey!! wave across the river okay? :lol:
Use more than one finger so he will be able to spot you, Harri!:D

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Harri Rautiainen said:
Bill,
has the new technology, called mobile telephony, won any pioneering users in the States, yet? :twisted:
:D:D:D. Harri, is that also an ad for Finland's own Nokia by chance?;)

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
saxismyaxe said:
:D:D:D. Harri, is that also an ad for Finland's own Nokia by chance?;)
If Nokia wants to advertise here I will charge double what P. Mauriat and Curt's Musicmedic.com are paying. :)

P.S. Check out SOTW Front page for our Ptrick's springermpc.com banner. Our sponsors and contributors make it possible to facilitate this saxophone forum.

I am also grateful to you Mike and all other Forum Administrators helping in running a tidy ship. And of course to the vast membership who is creating the content here making the SOTW Forum worth of a visit.

F

·
0 Posts
PayPal???

Hi, Harri.

I'd like to make a small donation, but I haven't got PayPal. I can't get PayPal from my neck of the woods. Is there another way, such as send money order?

Cheers,
FujairahMan

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FujairahMan said:
Hi, Harri.

I'd like to make a small donation, but I haven't got PayPal. I can't get PayPal from my neck of the woods. Is there another way, such as send money order?

Cheers,
FujairahMan
Hi FujairahMan,
I appreciate your thought a lot.
Frankly I do not know how the money order from U.A.E. to Finland would work.
In any case there is no point in giving a large portion to the messenger.

Let's take this in email or PM.

thanks,

·
1,001 Posts
I missed this announcement and thought I'd lost the Forum. I found it using Google. Glad to see it all back again. This is a very valuable resource and a great way to keep in touch.

Thanks Harri!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thank you, Harri for providing us with the greatest one-stop resource for Saxophones and more! You, and everyone else here, truly make it the best place on the web for everything saxophone, and more!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts