Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
That's the saxophone sound to me. And the vibe. And the melody. And the phrasing. And, and, and...

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
No better than this; I've been listening to this at least once a day for the past month.

That thread "How do YOU define saxophone?"

The answer is this video.

- Saxaholic

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I'd also like to add that while the entire rhythm section plays well, I'm especially impressed with Daniel Humair. Dex goes on for a while in his solo, and Daniel Humair on drums keeps it interesting the entire time. So many jazz drummers (especially today's generation) think they have to be loud or fast to be interesting, and they fail to realize how important it is to keep the soloists sound and ideas fresh and interesting on the background support.

Just phenomenal.

- Saxaholic

·
Premium Member
15,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have several that will put you in that ballpark of sound....but nothing is gonna make you sound like Dex!!! :)

·
Premium Member
15,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He does great quoting!

The worst quote user for me was horace silver.

He'd start a quote and go way too long with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I have been using and abusing this video... man, it doesn't get any better than this. I love Dexter. Hey Mark, just outof curiosity, what kind of Dukoff did Dex used around this time? Tip size? etc?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I'd also like to add that while the entire rhythm section plays well, I'm especially impressed with Daniel Humair. Dex goes on for a while in his solo, and Daniel Humair on drums keeps it interesting the entire time. So many jazz drummers (especially today's generation) think they have to be loud or fast to be interesting, and they fail to realize how important it is to keep the soloists sound and ideas fresh and interesting on the background support.

Just phenomenal.

- Saxaholic
Check out Lee Fish. I've always been struck by his tastefulness and subtlety.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
I have been using and abusing this video... man, it doesn't get any better than this. I love Dexter. Hey Mark, just outof curiosity, what kind of Dukoff did Dex used around this time? Tip size? etc?
Early Dukoff 'Hollywood' maybe? Anyway, his horn/mpce was stolen, and in my view he never sounded the same. Still great, but just not the same on a Selmer and whatever mpce. This video has meant a lot to me too, even though I'm not a bop guy - more of a commercial player, but there is no denying the awesome beauty of his sound and mentality during this period. I would love to be surprised some night to hear some of this style easing into my stuff. I was thinking of selling a 'The Martin Tenor' I've had for a few years until I realized that with the right mpce I can hear some of that deep Conn tone out of it. This bears further study!

·
Premium Member
15,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I was just meaning that this was really great. We all have our favorites, but this one sure sounds right to me. i love Dex a whole lot too.

My personal favorite is Gene Ammons. For me, Jug is king!

·
1,337 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me that sax players, especially pros, don't have backup horns and mouthpieces; especially the mouthpiece.

You can always find another horn of similar type, but some of those old mouthpieces are really, really hard to find in specific configs.

Local old cat here in town, alto/clarinet...best alto I've -ever- heard. Played with the big boys way back when. Best alto sax guy no one's ever heard of, even though he played w/Dorsey, Harry James, Teagarden. Marvelous sound, really unique.

Any rate, few years back, he 'drops' his mouthpiece and chips it to make it unplayable. Had the piece since the mid-1940s, when he bought it in Hollywood.

When I asked him if he had a backup...dead silence. Had never occurred to him to have a backup(!) Eventually, he got it fixed after I found a reputable fixer for him to send it to. BUT, he was up the creek for a while, though.

Dexter, Getz, etc., I still don't get why they couldn't/didn't find replacement horns when 'things happened'. I liked Getz' sound best when he was playing on an old Selmer BA/SBA(SBA I think; don't remember for sure). Never did sound the same when he moved to a Mark VI. Still pretty good, tho :)

·
3,695 Posts
Nice bunch of U87s. (may be some 67s actually)
Definitely U67s. Just got one and OH MAN!! As far as the recording, and maybe I'm biased, but that's 50% of the sound right there. What a wonderful mic!!

This video was in 1964, just before the U47 production ended in 1965. The U67 replaced the uber famous U47 because the tube for the U47 was discontinued. The U87 came in 1967. It was a non tube version of the mic, but used a different diaphragm. Believe it or not, the current U87ai uses the same diaphragm as the U67, and many parts are still currently produced by Neumann and readily available.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Dex could not seem or deem to play a 'wrong' note!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts