Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing sax now for almost 4 1/2 years and now I am considering upgrading from my current sax. Right now I play a King 660 alto sax with a Vandoren Jumbo Java A35 and Rosseau NC4 Classic. I would like to spend under 1700 including the money I would get for my current sax. What saxophones do you reccommend? Also, what do you thing what be an appropriate amount to get from my King 660? In the past, I have played but never owned a Yanagisawa Pro model bari(played for 2 1/2 years) sax and a Bundy Tenor Sax(played for 1 1/2 years).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Your last comments are a bit misleading. Are you after an Alto,Tenor or Bari? I'll assume alto for $1700.
You could most definitely find a nice used pro level yamaha custom or maybe even a Selmer series II for that amount. If you're looking for vintage, you might find a Conn 6m, King Zephyr or Buescher Aristocrat in good condition, just try to stick to 1935-60. ALWAYS if at all possible, play before you buy. For a King 660, I wouldn't expect any more than $500.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking for alto for those of you who I confused.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
With $1700, your options are somewhat limited. You probably won't be able to get any type of professional horn in that price range unless you stumble upon a deal. Maybe save up until you can afford one of a much higher caliber than your King?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,442 Posts
There are several recent threads on this very topic. Maybe you should read through them all, THEN ask specific questions. As far as the value of your King 660, I don't know what that is, so I won't get into that. But I think $1700 could probably get you into a wonderful old Buescher or Conn (certainly pro-level horns). SAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
Although I used a mark VI for 35 years, I have become jaded and actually prefer the vintage horns. I would suggest that you consider some of the ones mentioned above. You can keep the King for a modern type horn and add a Conn 6M, King Zephyr, Buescher Aristocrat or a Martin Committee and still have money left over. I only have some Martins to sell right now but a nice playing Committe II will run you $800 and a killer Magna $1,500. Lately there have been some nice 30s-40s Conn 6Ms on ebay selling for under $1,000 which would give you room for a complete overhaul. Whatever you choose, make sure you get to play it first or have a return option. If you go modern, I don't think you will find a Selmer series II for under $2,000 but you may find a nice VII or a Custom Yamaha. My choice on modern would be a Yanagisawa.

·
5,472 Posts
My choice on modern would be a Yanagisawa.
Excuse me if I'm mistaken (because I am far from an expert on this), but wouldn't it quite rare to find a modern Yani under $1700 in a decent condition? Yanagisawa's base model alto (A901) new is ~$2500.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Excuse me if I'm mistaken (because I am far from an expert on this), but wouldn't it quite rare to find a modern Yani under $1700 in a decent condition? Yanagisawa's base model alto (A901) new is ~$2500.
New yes, used no. I see used 901 altos going for 1500 or less on a pretty frequent basis. $1700 will get the OP something nice, just not brand new. It really doesn't make sense to buy a brand new horn these days, too many used horns on the market, especially the altos. It's a buyer's market and $1700 will go a long way.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about a brand new Jupiter 869SG Artist Alto Saxophone or the Jupiter 969 GL Artist Alto Saxophone?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
You probably won't be able to get any type of professional horn in that price range unless you stumble upon a deal.
:scratch::dazed:Wh...wh...wh...? Huh ?:fftheai:

Ok...lemme peel myself off of the floor.

Conn 6M...Buescher TopHat or 400...Martin Committee...Yanagisawa 880 or older A5 or A6 (and yes you can even find a used 900 if you are a tad lucky)....

....H. Couf Superba or similar vintage JK.....Kohlert '5X or Regent....King Zephyr....

.....a Beaugnier-made horn such as Vito Model 35 or 37 or LeBlanc Semi or Noblet.....YAS-62....Buffet Dynaction or SuperDyna.....

...SML......

These are just off the top of my head.

You already have played the King, so any argument anyone will make about "vintage keywork" (which is weak to begin with) is rendered entirely moot.

Holy cow, dude...that's a great budget for a Pro horn...the world is your oyster, basically.....

Don't go dropping that $ on something like a Jupiter...really......

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I would like to stick with modern horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,247 Posts
My favorite modern altos: Selmer SA80II or Yanagisawa. It will all depend on what you can find on the market.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Although I used a mark VI for 35 years, I have become jaded and actually prefer the vintage horns..
When did the Mark VI not become vintage? When people began thinking that split-bell key horns are actually playable? You used to not be able to give those out of tune dogs away. There is a difference between vintage and just damn old.
There are a lot of decent horns in that range, older Yanagisawas, 6Ms (probably the best choice), older Selmer USAs (Omegas), even Yamahas.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts

Conn 6M...Buescher TopHat or 400...Martin Committee...Yanagisawa 880 or older A5 or A6 (and yes you can even find a used 900 if you are a tad lucky)....

....H. Couf Superba or similar vintage JK.....Kohlert '5X or Regent....King Zephyr....

.....a Beaugnier-made horn such as Vito Model 35 or 37 or LeBlanc Semi or Noblet.....YAS-62....Buffet Dynaction or SuperDyna.....

...SML......

These are just off the top of my head.

You already have played the King, so any argument anyone will make about "vintage keywork" (which is weak to begin with) is rendered entirely moot.

Holy cow, dude...that's a great budget for a Pro horn...the world is your oyster, basically.....

Don't go dropping that $ on something like a Jupiter...really......
JayePDX: She is a high school student, so consider the source...There are far worse offenders/ elitists around here that have more playing experience than me and you combined.

OP: Jaye, and everyone else so far, is right; That kind of money will get you a great horn. You need to do your homework/ research and find something that suits you...Just remember: The secret to making ANY saxophone sound great is completely in your hands my friend.

·
5,472 Posts

Your response has slightly disparaged me. I'm merely stating that from my experience (I was in the market for a pro saxophone a few years ago), I have never came across a used pro horn that was in a decent condition under this price threshold. It may be due to regional disparities or the fact that I haven't lived enough years or acquired enough experience to have made associations with those who sell horns. Remember: all posts are not facts, merely opinions that are typically conjectured via previous experience! :) Hence, I'm not incorrect in any form since this is merely my opinion. I believe that's what makes forums unique: that those who post are subject to various opinions and one can make decisions from there...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Your response has slightly disparaged me. I'm merely stating that from my experience (I was in the market for a pro saxophone a few years ago), I have never came across a used pro horn that was in a decent condition under this price threshold. It may be due to regional disparities or the fact that I haven't lived enough years or acquired enough experience to have made associations with those who sell horns. Remember: all posts are not facts, merely opinions that are typically conjectured via previous experience! :) Hence, I'm not incorrect in any form since this is merely my opinion. I believe that's what makes forums unique: that those who post are subject to various opinions and one can make decisions from there...
Where were you looking? There's going to be a BIG difference between the prices you see in a local store (regardless of location) vs. someone that has little to no overhead (i.e. a SOTW member, private seller, etc.).

Even on lower end Yamaha alto's...I saw a ~$300 difference between the average private sale price and dealer price. That's just talking a ~$300-600 horn...not a $1,500+ one. It's a buyers market at the moment. For $1,700, you shouldn't have a problem finding a used professional alto. That might mean looking at both vintage and modern horns too. Just my $.02...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,733 Posts
I'm not incorrect in any form since this is merely my opinion. I believe that's what makes forums unique: that those who post are subject to various opinions and one can make decisions from there...
You presented your opinion as fact. If you are going to hide behind the "I"m young, don't know anything, and hence cannot be held responsible for my actions", guess again. When you share a response that you know to have a weak basis, state it as an opinion, ex. "In my limited experience, I could not find a horn for less than $xxxx."

FWIW, there are a great many used modern pro altos that get sold in the SotW Marketplace for less than $1700 - including Selmer Serie II, J-K SX90, Yamaha, and Yanagisawa.

The greater challenge that I see is getting enough money from the sale of the OP's horn. I don't know what a realistic expectation might be for that instrument.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I bought off eBay a 1995 A990 (similar to current 991) in mint condition for $1800. A Yamaha 6211 which is a pro horn can be found in excellent condition for $1700/1800. Selmer SA80's in excellent condition can be found for $1800.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You presented your opinion as fact. If you are going to hide behind the "I"m young, don't know anything, and hence cannot be held responsible for my actions", guess again. When you share a response that you know to have a weak basis, state it as an opinion, ex. "In my limited experience, I could not find a horn for less than $xxxx."

FWIW, there are a great many used modern pro altos that get sold in the SotW Marketplace for less than $1700 - including Selmer Serie II, J-K SX90, Yamaha, and Yanagisawa.

The greater challenge that I see is getting enough money from the sale of the OP's horn. I don't know what a realistic expectation might be for that instrument.
There are many great modern altos on ebay also. I picked up recently a Yani 990 in mint condition and an older Selmer SA80 in very good condition for $1800 each.
It can be difficult for a novice though. You need to ask the right questions and there must be sharp photos in the listing. Avoid sellers that state "No Returns" and have less than 100% positive feedback and keep in mind that if an item is not as advertised you can send it back. The buyers have more protection than the sellers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
There's no reason to be disparaged or offended. Not even any particular reason you need to 'defend' yourself. It's just that your comment was pretty bold...and pretty misleading. Not that you intended to be.

So, you can say that I am somehow squelching "various opinions"...but that's a reach. Basically, I was correcting a misleading comment is all.

While I am aware you are a young player, I am also aware that you have a lotta posts here, as well. So, although I don't use the same semantics as Dr. G...he has a fair point in his comment above. The OP asks what pro horns he/she can get for $1700...and you reply that it's very unlikely...when in fact...you can hardly help but trip over 'em.....

It's just a misconception, is all. And a very, very common one; so it's not confined to you by any means.
Folks are used to the new horn market because that is the market which is most easily accessible.

So they believe that a YAS 23 should really cost $1300 (as one absurd example).

Again, I apologize for having been a bit cheeky, because I do generally like your posts here & you are pretty cool, in my experience...but there were things you weren't considering.

The OP, for example, already plays a vintage horn. And the OP came here to SOTW for suggestions; as opposed to just hitting amazon.com for reviews.....

So right there, he/she is already a great candidate to look into another vintage/used purchase.

It's the strength of the vintage market, and what it has over new or almost-new: if you have less than $3g to spend...you get twice the horn for half the price, is all I was pointing out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts