Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know whether or not a Series II neck will fit a Mark VI without modification, and if not would the neck need to be expanded or contracted?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The neck would fit, but more than likely it would need to be expanded. My buddy plays a nice five digit with a series II neck and he is one heck of a serious player.

Just remember that the series II neck is high arching and a MUCH different player to a VI style neck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
My 104k vi has a much larger bore than a modern Selmer. In fact a bit larger than my 81k vi. My 228k Selmer has the same bore as a modern Selmer, however; I actually use a high-copper series iii neck on it (which I originally bought and used on a series ii horn).

As Simon notes, the series iii neck shape is right within the range of variability of all of the vi necks I have owned, but that series ii neck is quite different.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You could contact KB sax and speak with Kim Bach.
He will be able to answer all of your questions - To quickly summarize, I believe he can replace the tendon to allow the neck to fit on your horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,769 Posts
I would never try to put a II neck on a MK VI because of its high arch, which makes the overall length shorter, which completely changes the ergonomics of how you hold the sax. It does this by having to be raised with the strap and because the horn is closer to you. This changes everything and I believe was the primary reason for the failure of the MK VII which was the first one with this neck style.
I have a VI and a Selmer USA and I use III necks on both. The Series III neck is a reproduction of the MK VI neck from the late '50s on. They sell a ton of them and the reason is its the best thing to happen for Selmer tenor players since 1974.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,259 Posts
is this question for alto, tenor or baritone sax?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,531 Posts
is this question for alto, tenor or baritone sax?

If a thread does not specify, then the default is tenor. It’s true. I read it on the internet.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
But the bulk are alto! (Dont' forget the kids!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts