Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I need advice on my modified 'Tribute*' tenor. (*in memory of my wife)

I've had the bell, bow and crook silver plated, but am wondering if I should have the body done. Maybe black nickel, silver, dark honey lacquer, gold plating, or leave it bare brass. I may even go for 'Cashsax green' :D I'm open to any ideas.

The horn is in dire need of a polish but since losing my wife I've found it difficult to get back to playing let alone the upkeep of the finish. A short while ago I felt the urge to play again and progress the work on the horn, so all suggestions /alternative suggestions are more than welcome.

Here are some pics of where we are at present.

www.saxstuff.net/images/sax1.JPG
www.saxstuff.net/images/sax2.JPG
www.saxstuff.net/images/sax3.JPG
www.saxstuff.net/images/sax4.JPG

Thanks & regards.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your wife.

As for the finish - What do you think she would have wanted? Did she prefer gold or silver jewelry?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martinman said:
What do you think she would have wanted? Did she prefer gold or silver jewelry?
She actually liked white gold :D

The logical step would be silver, but I'm stumped on this one. I just think it looks, well... unfinished, as in 'not complete'

·
4,147 Posts
Then get the rest silver plated. You could try to get a gold wash on the bell, that might be cool.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Whatever finish you decide on, perhaps you could get Jason to engrave a tribute to her somewhere on the horn.

I myself would tend toward a darker finish for the rest of the horn ... dark lacquer or bare brass (like a S20) ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
I like altoblues' idea, maybe you could find a lacquer color similar to that of the original Mk VI lacquer? Or maybe the no buff no lacquer finish like the "matte" option for the Ref. 54 saxes?

An engraved tribute would be very nice, also.

An idea for that could be a favorite animal/flower/saying/whatever engraved on the bell, with her name around the bell lip.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Russ,

Sorry as well to hear about the loss of your wife. Making your horn a tribute to her is a great idea.

I like the look of it as it is, but I would probably lean toward a goldplated body and lacquered keys.

I can email you some photo's of a nice looking tenor I own that is acutally similar to what you have if your interested. Just PM me your email info.

Tony
[email protected]

·
4,147 Posts
I really like the previously mentioned idea of the engraving tribute. Maybe something like those old lady-face Conns, or if you don't want a picture of your wife, something she liked or something. Maybe a dove.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback all.

Karen has hand engraved a plaque which sits nicely, but the engraving idea of something she loved (she loved lillies) would be really cool. There ain't many Selmer horns out there with lillies :D Martinman, an engraved picture of my wife would be (next to having her back) beyond my wildest dreams.

She was a very simple girl and liked things to be understated. I think lillies are exactly that, but beautiful also. I'm inspired.

I thought about contacting Jason but as I'm in the UK, Customs & Excise would charge me a fortune just to import MY horn back to me !! Put postage and insurance on the round trip and I would have spent probably close to $1500. Jason's work is worth the expense on top but as I'm now an 'at home' full time dad for the foreseeable future, it kind of rules it out at the moment.

Gold wash bell sounds cool too, with Karen's name engraved around it.
Wow. Real food for thought.

Are there any Photoshop guru's here ?? :D

Tony, I've sent you an email.

Again, thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts