Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I want to buy a new sax. I have come to these two saxes. How do you think, which one would be the best? :?::?::?:

By the way I play sax for 7 years I am looking for a professional instrument.
Any other sax suggestions would be great! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Series II Alto Sax Silver Plated VS Selmer Super Action 80 Series II Alto- 125th Anniversary Edi

It is all up to you, I currently play on a Serie II SA80 tenor and I love it. albeit it tends to be an unforgiving instrument.
But this is personal preference, I am by no means a professional but I can tell you that you need to actually go to a store and play the instrument. Every horn is different
I would not recommend a horn in that price range off the internet.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: Series II Alto Sax Silver Plated VS Selmer Super Action 80 Series II Alto- 125th Anniversary Edi

well said. need to go to the store, play as many saxes as you can, then go to another store and do the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts

If you don't have the oportunity to cruise as much stores as people here suggest and finally you have to buy it via internet you need to have this in mind:
Second hand SA80IIs are much more common to find than the new 125th Aniversary Edition.This will have a big impact on the price in case you want to sell the horn.
Anyway: Try them if you have the chance.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Damn it! :p I don't have the opportunity to try any of these horns...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

:doubt:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It is all up to you, I currently play on a Serie II SA80 tenor and I love it. albeit it tends to be an unforgiving instrument.
But this is personal preference, I am by no means a professional but I can tell you that you need to actually go to a store and play the instrument. Every horn is different
I would not recommend a horn in that price range off the internet.
why wouldn't you recommend?

·
Registered
16 Posts

If you don't have the oportunity to cruise as much stores as people here suggest and finally you have to buy it via internet you need to have this in mind:
Second hand SA80IIs are much more common to find than the new 125th Aniversary Edition.This will have a big impact on the price in case you want to sell the horn.
Anyway: Try them if you have the chance.
Good luck.
I actually own a Selmer Jubilee Series II alto and can attest to what Locust Solus said above. It was the first anyone at the shop had seen of it, it was just delivered from France, they had no idea they had one, and after it being there for two days, I show up and it turns out to be the best playing alto they have. I tried 18 alto saxophones before I found the one I now own. The best thing you can do is go to the local shops around town first and play through what horns they have. You could be surprised and actually find one you like enough to buy. If not, driving a few hours to a bigger store with more instruments to play may be your only other option besides online buying.

Here is some things to bring with you if you go try a bunch of horns:

• Notepad - write serial numbers of the instruments you try and write down your thoughts about each horn to compare for later.
  • Pen - you need something to write with.
  • Mouthpiece and Reeds - The horn needs to be right for your setup and playing styles, so if you have more than one mouthpiece and different types of reeds that you use, bring them all and try all options on each horn.
  • Your current horn - Bring as a comparison to the instruments you are looking at.

The best thing you can do is just play through as many saxes as you can until you find the horn that you have always wanted. A name is just a name. I tried Selmer, Yamaha, and Yanagisawa but ended up with Selmer. My other alto is a Yamaha. As long as you are open to whatever options are out there, you won't be disappointed.

P.S. If you want to see an unboxing of a Selmer Jubilee horn, I put a video up on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2vEIXBzMw

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

I don't think some of you understand how difficult it is to get access to top-tier European horns in non-American countries. :bluewink:

Raimis, I play a Super 80 Serie II alto and love it. It's a wonderful instrument. I don't think you need to pay extra for any special features, that is an Anniversary model or silver.

·
Registered
46 Posts

why wouldn't you recommend?
Just purchasing off of the internet. For a professional level Selmer every horn is going to be slightly different. but Gary does make a point that it may be difficult for you to access these horns to test them out, please forgive me if i was insensitive. If you can't get your hands on an instrument to test out i would recommend the SA80II. It is a solid horn that many people enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It is soooo hard to choose the right horn...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I don't think some of you understand how difficult it is to get access to top-tier European horns in non-American countries. :bluewink:

Raimis, I play a Super 80 Serie II alto and love it. It's a wonderful instrument. I don't think you need to pay extra for any special features, that is an Anniversary model or silver.
But I think silver plated Serie II sound would be richer.

·
Registered
223 Posts

But I think silver plated Serie II sound would be richer.
Then go for it and don't accumulate more opinions from other people, this just will make you feel even more confused.

·
Registered
16 Posts

agreed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts