Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the serie III soprano was introduced in 1993. That far I could read from Selmer's homepage. I never studied French... :p

The reason I ask is that I've found a tenor with serial number 57xxxx and I reckon it was produced in 1993 or 1994, as the same French site states (I think) that the 500000th horn was built in 1993. Should I be beware of any child diseases? :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I bought my series III sop in late '97. It was one of the first, it doesn't have the stylized Series III logo.
As for the tenors, we took a sax studio trip up to the Elkhart factory in Fall '98. The trip was sponsored by the local music shop, and part of the trip was to try out the new III tenors to select a few for the shop. They were supposed to be new for the states at the time, so unless they were available in Europe before then, it would have been 98.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
I remember going to Paris to work a gig right around this time of the year, October or November, 1992. I remember taking a cab to the Selmer offices on the rue de la Fantaine Au Roi. The two other saxophone players from the band and I hung out with Jerome Selmer and Sebastian, his tech. Sebastian asked me if I wanted to try their new soprano saxophone called the Series 111. Of course I wanted to. So Sebastian disapeared for a minute and came back with the horn. It had a detachable neck and a high g key. I remember that the serial # was 500001. The horn played real nice but I didn't have the digit, so I couldn't cop. The horn sold later that day to an American dude who brought it back to the states.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts