Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a serie III alto and it was way out of tune- With warbling on low C,B and B flat- the solution was to push the mpc in farther which totally eliminated the prob. This site is great and a invaluble resource for players...I heard the serei III sop has the same problem? getting one soon-I recommend Saxforte

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yes, very good, but does the horn still play at A=440? Have you checked it with a tuner? I'm well aquainted with these problems, but with the S3 soprano, if you push the mouthpiece on far enough to reduce these problems, the instrument is then hugely sharp. Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the Series III alto is anything like my III tenor, the neck cork is quite thin and certain mouthpieces - my Lawton for example - simply flop about and cannot be used. My Guardala and Link both work fine, although the Guardala is still quite an "easy" fit. Perhaps your mouthpiece is leaking unless pushed on further? Try cigarette paper or PTFE plumber's tape on the cork for a better seal. Also, the subtly different embochure you get with a pushed-on-further mouthpiece might be affecting the bottom end stability. Sounds like a leak though.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I remember Delangle from the Paris conservatory said the series are designed to tune as 442, because it sounds better to the ear and many orchestras have adapted this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
NatureColor said:
I remember Delangle from the Paris conservatory said the series are designed to tune as 442, because it sounds better to the ear and many orchestras have adapted this.
Not sure this is correct. Selmer is very specific on their French website and in their catalogs as to which horns are 440 vs. 442.
They make clarinets in both pitches, altho only 440 are imported to the U.S.
Everything I've seen on their saxes indicates 440 pitch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts