Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am selling my MK VI alto and the serial numbers discussed here generally and elsewhere do not seem to be conclusive so i am asking for anyone in the know that might be able to assist.

Serial Numbers on my horn appear in 2 locations (1) on the back of the tube below the thumb (opposite side of the D key) and (2) On the diamond shaped plate from the tube-to-bell ring / brace.

The six digits on the tube are 167xxx.

The five digits on the plate - bell to tube - are just 67xxx (upside down - in a 2 digits over 3 digit format).

One source I found says to use the 5 digits - but does not seem conclusive as it references 5 digits on the 'bell'. Any insight or direction to source matieral would be greatly appreciated. It makes of difference of 1957 versus 1967. Glad to provide images if helpful. jim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,334 Posts
cjmi: Welcome to SOTW. I looked at my MKVI alto and it has the same anomaly as yours . . . the REAL serial number is below the thumb rest - a six-digit number, 110XXX.

On that diamond-shaped rib for the bell-brace the last five digits of the horn's serial number is stamped on it, in the same format as yours.

Use the full six-digit number on the back of the body below the thumb rest. That is the horn's serial number. DAVE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave - thank you very much - your info is what I believed to be the case. I didn't however want to sell the horn and later have someone say the 5 were the ones to use for dating. (I do however wonder what the conversation was like around the lunch table when they were making the decision to put the 6 digits on the tube and only 5 on the bell... perhaps a preference for pentatonic scales that got carried into serial number production)

Thank you.

·
Registered
658 Posts
cjmi: Welcome to SOTW. I looked at my MKVI alto and it has the same anomaly as yours . . . the REAL serial number is below the thumb rest - a six-digit number, 110XXX.

On that diamond-shaped rib for the bell-brace the last five digits of the horn's serial number is stamped on it, in the same format as yours.
Yeah, same here, though mine reads 115XXX strangely enough :bluewink:
Welcome to SOTW, cjimi!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,334 Posts
Practically speaking, that is true. However, I doubt that was the intention when the horn was made. As it turns out, the double-numbering has a secondary purpose, eh? DAVE

·
Registered
650 Posts
"I do however wonder what the conversation was like around the lunch table when they were making the decision to put the 6 digits on the tube and only 5 on the bell"

Just a random guess -- maybe they never thought they'd make over 100,000 Mark VIs and started with 5 digits on the bell. Once they reached 100,000 they just decided to continue the 5 digit tradition?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you look under som of he keys you'll find the last three digits scratched in. The keys are made for the specific horns. That's why you'll find that horns within the same serial number range feel slightly different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts