Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
May I respectfully request that you provide more information in your opening posts? The short one-sentence thread-opening-questions you continually pose are becoming annoying.

Yes, I realize I can NOT open them.

What are you seeking in the long-term?

What I see in the linked photo is a neck-tenon. I have never seen a serial number on a neck-tenon, but I suppose an owner could scratch or stamp one anywhere on anything he owns, including the tenon of his saxophone neck.

Saxophone serial numbers are usually stamped on the back of the instrument. Early Selmers (like my '32 Cigar Cutter alto) had them on the bell. DAVE

·
4,580 Posts
May I respectfully request that you provide more information in your opening posts? The short one-sentence thread-opening-questions you continually pose are becoming annoying.

Yes, I realize I can NOT open them.

What I see in the linked photo is a neck-tenon. I have never seen a serial number on a neck-tenon, but I suppose an owner could scratch or stamp one anywhere on anything he owns, including the tenon of his saxophone neck.

Saxophone serial numbers are usually stamped on the back of the instrument. Early Selmers (like my '32 Cigar Cutter alto) had them on the bell. DAVE

This is a good way to get a harassing PM from the OP, like I did this weekend. Good luck.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you're trying to ask if there's a serial on the neck of a Buescher, no there isn't-it's on the back below the thumbrest like Dave said. The only thing that should be on the neck is a number like 01 or 3 above the tenon on the back side of it, facing the player, and that's only on Altos from the late True-Tone era until (I think) the 140 came out. (aka the "Big B" Alto)

edit: actually no the neck was still marked on early 140s at least, I found a listing of one on Reverb that shows a picture of the neck with it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're trying to ask if there's a serial on the neck of a Buescher, no there isn't-it's on the back below the thumbrest like Dave said. The only thing that should be on the neck is a number like 01 or 3 above the tenon on the back side of it, facing the player, and that's only on Altos from the late True-Tone era until (I think) the 140 came out. (aka the "Big B" Alto)

edit: actually no the neck was still marked on early 140s at least, I found a listing of one on Reverb that shows a picture of the neck with it.
I thought all Bueschers,Kings,Martins ,Selmers,etc....had a serial number on the neck like this Martin Stencil that should match the one on the sax..

https://ibb.co/dn6e1c

Forgive the ignorance of a noob and my thirst for knowledge......thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Not even all Selmers have serial numbers on their necks.

If you truly have a thirst for knowledge, please consider reading the subforums on the various makes and models of horns. Most of your questions have been answered in much greater depth many times over. Of course you know that because you've been a forum member since 2013, so you're not really a "noob" in all this.

·
14,268 Posts
I'll forgive you, but really - write out your questions more clearly. It doesn't take much effort to write a complete paragraph.

A link with a question-mark creates more confusion than is necessary. We ALL have questions and there is no harm in posing them, but like Dr G said, do some research first.

And yes, research on this site IS difficult given the size of the site so I can understand not being able to find answers even if we all know they exist here. Finding them is difficult.

Before there was a SOTW, we learned by making mistakes. I can't count the times I spent more money than I should have, bought into myths, and all of the other things we tend to do. And with such a valuable resource as SOTW, you'd think we don't have to learn by trial-and-error - but often we do.

It appears that you are looking to buy a saxophone - or maybe not. But if you are, there are some bargains and great deals around. If you are into taking some risks, do it and report back to us the results. We can all learn from what others have done - good or bad. If you can't afford the risks, than up your game and buy the known stuff that is more likely to work from the beginning. Most of the links you've posted appear to be major risk-taking (oh, not this latest neck tenon thing, but you get the idea).

If you are just curious, then say so. DAVE

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,015 Posts
Not even all Selmers have serial numbers on their necks.
Exactly. Some do, some don't. Mine does, so obviously it's superior to all the ones that don't have the serial # on the neck! :)

(the smiley means I'm just kidding, in case anyone takes me seriously)

My Bueschers don't have a # on the necks, but maybe certain serial # ranges did have them. Doesn't really matter one way or the other.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I haven't heard of any saxophones except Martins having a SN on the neck. Do some Selmers also have this? (Not that I really care.)

·
Registered
929 Posts
I haven't heard of any saxophones except Martins having a SN on the neck. Do some Selmers also have this? (Not that I really care.)
My King Zephyr does, but it's not a Selmer.
I know some Selmers do-it might only be Euro or US assembled horns or something like that, I don't know. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about Selmer Saxes on here knows if there's any rhyme or reason to it, like Douglas Pipher?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

DAVE

I am a theoretical physicist , I want to know and understand the universe ...curiosity is what drives us scientists

And now I am again a student , a student of the sax with the same desire to know and understand the ins and outs of the instrument which was invented in my country ..:bluewink:

Starting a little collection, learning to play , reading a lot ,research on the web, talking with pros..

The passion is so big that I would consider giving up my job to play, collect, repair and sell ....really I have no idea where this will end

The most important word in my life is “WHY”

Hope you guys now understand my obsessive behaviour with asking questions , I do use google all the time and saxontheweb shows up almost everytime in the top results, if I dont find the answer fast enough, I start a thread, too much threads for some, SORRY, I understand it can be annoying....

The older , the more ugly , the more I love a sax...:smilebox:

My girlfriend is afraid that I will dump her in favour of the sax, I think each of you understands what I mean...:mrgreen:

·
32,938 Posts
I am a theoretical physicist , I want to know and understand the universe ...curiosity is what drives us scientists
There are many of us here that have Ph.D.s - and many more with a thirst for knowledge. Don’t think that you have an exclusive right to curiosity.

And now I am again a student , a student of the sax with the same desire to know and understand the ins and outs of the instrument which was invented in my country ..:bluewink:

Starting a little collection, learning to play , reading a lot ,research on the web, talking with pros..

The passion is so big that I would consider giving up my job to play, collect, repair and sell ....really I have no idea where this will end
Consider adopting some humility in your quest, lest you gain the unintended consequence of alienating those best able to help you.

The most important word in my life is “WHY”
Perhaps you should study the field of philosophy. :bluewink: But if that is indeed true, you should be seeking to learn how to evaluate horns, rather than "looking for the answers in the back of the book".

Hope you guys now understand my obsessive behaviour with asking questions , I do use google all the time and saxontheweb shows up almost everytime in the top results, if I dont find the answer fast enough, I start a thread, too much threads for some, SORRY, I understand it can be annoying....
Yes, it is beyond annoying. Don’t use your impatience as an excuse for bad manners. There are other members here too. Just because you have a Ph.D. with fresh ink on it doesn’t mean you have any rights to step to the front of the line. I hope you don’t act like this around other professionals in your field. If you do, you’ll find yourself isolated as you earn the reputation of being a jerk. I have worked with people with attitudes such as yours.

The older , the more ugly , the more I love a sax...:smilebox:
Then buy as many as you like. You are the textbook definition of a person with G.A.S.

My girlfriend is afraid that I will dump her in favour of the sax, I think each of you understands what I mean...:mrgreen:
If this is the way you behave in life, your girlfriend may be dumping you first. I hear/read everything you have said in this post. I hope you take the time to read my response.

SotW is a great resource. Please take the time to do a lil’ research. Enjoy the collecting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
You are the textbook definition of a person with G.A.S.

Enjoy the collecting.

I am curious about the GAS designation applied here.

I had supposed that, by definition, a person with GAS believes that getting more or "better" gear is a short cut to being a better player. See quote below.

But I am led to believe from the quote above that you equate GAS and collecting.

FDR collected stamps. Did he have stamp acquisition syndrome, or was he just a collector?

Here is a relevant quote:

"The Problem with Gear Acquisition Syndrome

If you've ever played golf with people who take it seriously, you might have noticed some of them have more of an interest in equipment than they do in their own skills. The newest club made out of some cutting-edge material will help them hit the ball twenty yards further. Better shoes will help their swing. A better putter will cut a few strokes off their short game.

But if they don't work on what matters - that is, their own skills - all that fancy new driver will do is help them hit the ball twenty yards further into the woods."

Is there a distinction worth drawing between a collector and a person seeking chops in the next box?

·
32,938 Posts
I am curious about the GAS designation applied here...
Is there a single definition - either of GAS or "collecting"? If someone is gathering a pile of POS horns with no sense other than "I like POS horns", does that constitute "collecting"?

On the other hand, buying horns for the sake of owning them seems closer to a compulsion of acquiring, hence my diagnosis of Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

·
5,431 Posts
Is there a single definition - either of GAS or "collecting"? If someone is gathering a pile of POS horns with no sense other than "I like POS horns", does that constitute "collecting"?
Absolutely the gathering of, say, used bottle tops or torn ticket stubs (or split bell saxophones) would be collecting. The relative market value of the rocks, leaves, bugs, what to others would be trash (as well as Malernes), has nothing to do with the recognition of the grouping as a collection, or of the person gathering them as a collector.

Most collections probably have very little value except to the collector.

It might be pretty odd to collect only stamps that had been postmarked from cities beginning with the letter "X", and the results totally without market value, but that guy would be a stamp collector.

·
32,938 Posts
OK, I'll play along... What is your preferred label for compulsive gathering with indeterminant motive?

What is your definition of GAS?

·
5,431 Posts
OK, I'll play along... What is your preferred label for compulsive gathering with indeterminant motive?

What is your definition of GAS?
Because of the word "syndrome" I would include some disfunctional or unhealthy feature.

see post #14

"I had supposed that, by definition, a person with GAS believes that getting more or "better" gear is a short cut to being a better player."

·
32,938 Posts
Why try to layer a clinical definition on a term that grew out of the interweb? I don't believe that all compulsive buyers of gear believe that they will get any better - even if they did, what's to say that it is "disfunctional or unhealthy"? I know a great many people that just buy gear - for myriad reasons. Sometimes it's just rising to well-posed sucker bait.

Thanks for the conversation. I'll stick with my original summation.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Hey guys, the term "G.A.S." did not come from the internet. I first read it in Sports Illustrated circa 1974, in an article about fishing equipment. The term may well predate that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts