Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really great sounding and in very good condition Buescher Alto. But the more I read the more I get confused ( easy, these days). It is silver has the G# trill key, Don't know why anyone would use it, althought he G# is a little hard to press quickly. It has that cork sealed tone hole at bottom of horn?? Anyhow i was gtold it is a Seriesd IV. New Aristocrat, but hon says true tone near serial number. Jut out of curiosity the neck has two astrisks on it (stars), again, what does it mean. any help, I would appreciae it, Thanks, Bruce Brennan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
AFAIK all the vintage Bueschers say True-Tone near the serial, whether it's actually a True-Tone model or not.
Did you check saxpics.com?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Is that one you got from me? It is a very late TT series IV from late 1928 as I recall. Best of the TTs. Not a New Aristocrat. I really think I owned that horn at one point!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Whether or not Bruce once had your horn, True Tone engraving looks something like this:

New Aristocrats have deco engraving and will have "Aristocrat" incorporated in the engraving.

·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bruce, Yes , you did own this horn, we swapped and I sent you another old Conn alto. Bruce, it plays really well, just confused as to actual model? According to ser# It should be a 1930 I think New Aristocrat? Neck has two ** on it??? Best , Brurce

·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Horn looks like your photo, but it does not say Aistocrat on it? T hanks, Bruce Brennan

·
5,183 Posts
If it doesn't say Aristocrat, it isn't an Aristocrat. You have a very late model True Tone from just before the New Aristocrat came out. Yours will have blue steel springs. The New Aristocrat would have gold plated screw in Nortons.

·
21,033 Posts
It is a True-tone series IV for sure. I was off on the year but it appears to be late 1930. From what I have read, 262,000ish was the end of the TTs. That is one of the better ones. I have an identical one if you need another! The New Aristocarts and Aristocrats (strange that the "new" came first) should also have True-Tone on the back.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,982 Posts
...out of curiosity the neck has two astrisks on it (stars), again, what does it mean.
The New Aristocrat had at least three different necks (and maybe even a fourth) to choose from, and the two asterisk neck was one of them. Some folks believe they're similar to the 1 True Tone necks, but opinions vary in this regard. I didn't know they were available with late True Tones, but I wouldn't put it out of the range of possibilities. It could also have been a replacement neck for your horn somewhere down the line.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
The New Aristocrats and Aristocrats (strange that the "new" came first) ...
Actually, not strange at all, because they were 'new' at the time they came out. The later Aristocrats were no longer a 'new' model, at least not in name.

·
5,183 Posts
The New Aristocrat had at least three different necks (and maybe even a fourth) to choose from, and the two asterisk neck was one of them. Some folks believe they're similar to the 1 True Tone necks, but opinions vary in this regard. I didn't know they were available with late True Tones, but I wouldn't put it out of the range of possibilities. It could also have been a replacement neck for your horn somewhere down the line.
I couldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure that I've seen a TT with a "**" neck. You have direct recent experience comparing a ** New Aristocrat neck and a 1 True Tone neck on my gold NA. There was definitely a difference.

·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Saintsday, Bruce,Grumps, & JL .. All good people, Yes, it haas blue springs, the two " ** " asterisks " are a good mystery, buy I just want to say to Bruc Bailey, I love this horn !! If you hae anothr exactly like it, anyone out there grab it !! It plays better than my old Balanced Action, My friend and I played some duets the othr day, he has a great MKVI, has a great sound, but he ;p.layed the Buescher and he wa actually startled on how good the horn played, he said his keywork was better for him, but said the Buescher has a bette tone !! Horn was checked out a cojuple of times and usually nothing but maybed one leaking pad or something. thanks all for your inputs Bruce Brennan
PS= I have a like new Antigua Soprano Model# A590RC ( Heavy Copper model) goes to F# & high G. Plays wonderful, My chops prevent me from continuing the soprano ( dental problems).I am asking $800.00. and to sweeten the pot I will throw in about four boxesd of new soprano eeds, #s 2-3 & 3 1/2 VD Jazz, & La Vaz Med. A Kessler Custom Mpc, a #7 Morgan Vintage, a Selmer Super Session # "J" a Rico metalite #7. All included I brought it today to my friend and great repair guy raig Lindsay, he went over entire horn, changed three pads. This way he new owner is getting a new horn. No scratches, dents, beautiful case. The Horn I bought new 2 yrs ago from Dave Kessler, for I think $1250.00. So All for $800.00. You pay shipping. Bruce

·
21,033 Posts
Yep, the one I have is not as nice as yours ol'H but nice. I am selling off that one, a series II alto, series III bari, curved soprano, straight soprano and an Academy alto. All the Bueschers are going as I have a bazillion Conns and Martins and just can't justify keeping these things. If you think the Alto is good, you should play a TT soprano or bari (or a C Melody) as Buescher made some fine horns back then.

·
25,982 Posts
You have direct recent experience comparing a ** New Aristocrat neck and a 1 True Tone neck on my gold NA. There was definitely a difference.
Yeah, which one did we end up liking the best for that horn?

·
5,183 Posts
The TT 1 neck was the winner with the ** second. The 01 and 03 necks weren't even close.

·
21,033 Posts
I thought is was the "01" that was the best rather than the "1". What does the one 'OlH have on that horn? I thought it was the "1" like the horn I have now.

·
25,982 Posts
The TT 1 neck was the winner with the ** second. The 01 and 03 necks weren't even close.
The ** neck was the one that came with your horn, right? If so, the 01 and 03 might not have had a good enough fit to judge playability. One of them was an absolutely terrible match, wasn't it?

·
5,183 Posts
The ** neck was the one that came with your horn, right? If so, the 01 and 03 might not have had a good enough fit to judge playability. One of them was an absolutely terrible match, wasn't it?
All of that is correct. But I think they all fit pretty well. It was the 03 that was the worst: the one that is supposed to be the cat's pajamas and the bee's knees. It may be that there was something in the evolution of the model that made it a poor choice for that particular horn. One other thought occurs. I'm not sure that we checked the octave bail to make sure the the neck pip was closing entirely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts