Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

One of my summer projects is working my way through Berio's sequenza VIIB

My experience with sequenza IX leads me to believe that berio (or his editor) wasn't too picky about being constant with his fingering notation, sometimes low C is referred to as "Low C", other times as "7"

I'm not familiar with the system sequenza VII uses. it uses Tc (low C#?), TC(same as Tc?), TA, Cs(I'm guessing C5?), and Tf. It's clear these are the right hand side keys, but which ones?

Any help decoding this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good luck with your project! It's a bear of a piece to musically interpret. The editing, like most of the sax repertoire out there, is shoddy. Cs is indeed C5, and the capitalization means nothing (Ta=TA, Tc=TC).

Be warned - these fingerings will not necessarily work on your horn. In fact, there are many other alternate fingerings that work better, so experiment!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
You could contact member Grevsax here on the forum. He's recorded the piece. I'm sure he can help you with any questions you may have.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just to check...
Tc = Side Key C
Ta = Side Key Bb
Cs (C5) = High E Key (top right-hand palm key)
Tf = Alternate F#

Sorry if I am pointing out what you already know!

·
Registered
295 Posts
This notation system all comes from the fingering chart in Hello, Mr Sax! by Jean-Marie Londeix. It's ~60 bucks, but it's a great reference. Totally worth it.

These fingerings are not perfect, make sure you're watching a tuner during this process.

(and thanks Warp X, I'm blushing :) )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts