Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi SOTW “nation”,

I PM(ed) to Jared couple of days ago with offering my candidature for September’s TOTM hosting.
I mentioned the tune I would like to propose as a TOTM and he gladly accepted and “approved” me as a HOST of the month.
The idea to write to Jared came after I played blues from “Nothing but Blues” (JA).
I return to this once in a while, regardless that today we have tons of modern blues backing tracks.

Finally, I decided to propose 2 from this edition. Select one or both for your own fun and share with all readers and players "responsibly" :) .

Here we go TOTM Sep 2021

1. Modal Blues
2. Home Stretch

Say truth, I never looked into the book. Simply jammed.
I thought there will be just chord progression.
But, no… I see there are heads proposed. Don’t think that they are real tunes.

Typed Home Stretch on tube… found Brecker and Henderson playing this title.
But it is absolutely different stuff.

So do whatever you feel 😊. If you want to play the proposed head - go ahead.
If not create your own. Or simply do your blues.

Sure, would be interesting to hear from SOTW BIGS (for me). I will even PM to some like Dave and Simon 😊.
Alex is with us here on kind of constant “assistance” for a while now.

Welcome with your blues.

Best.
Michael.

P.S. Thanks to Jared for support and PDFs for alto and tenor... I had "Concert" only in my archive.

Edited: just found an original book with CD purchased somewhere in 92-94, I was much younger...:)

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,399 Posts
Thanks so much for hosting this month Michael. I for one am going to love bluesing it up!

I've added this thread to the TOTM Index found here:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi,

here is my first, quick and dirty attempt, one shot one take:

Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz, Jody Jazz HR Custom Dark, Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon

Ciao

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,399 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

here is my first, quick and dirty attempt, one shot one take:

Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz, Jody Jazz HR Custom Dark, Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon

Ciao
Hey Guido, really nice job!. Sound, phrases, finally you in the HOME Stretch :). Would be interesting to hear your second blues of the month.

Thank you for posting.
Michael.

Reactions: guidocreo

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: J-Moen

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hey Guido, really nice job!. Sound, phrases, finally you in the HOME Stretch :). Would be interesting to hear your second blues of the month.

Thank you for posting.
Michael.
Thanks,

I'll give it a try next week .

Reactions: Michael_A

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm not really sure I'd call this "modal" blues (So What is what I'd call modal), but here's what I heard on the changes this morning.
Boy, does this track speed up or what?
Remove the space before soundcloud to listen:
https:// soundcloud.com/randulo/modal-blues/s-x6PE2IHWAct

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts
I normally love playing the Blues, but not so much these types of tunes as selected for this month TOTM (sorry Michael!).

But... the wife and my direct neighbours were away this afternoon and I needed to see if my horn still plays, because I will have my first Big Band rehearsal coming Tuesday and almost didn't play since March 2020 (you can all figure out why!).

So I grabbed my horn, did put a very soft Rico Plasticover 1.5 on my Florida no USA 10* and did try to record a quick and dirty take at low volume (I have more neighbours than the ones that were not at home this afternoon!). The backing track didn't inspire me to really play, so the take is nothing more than some one trick pony noodling. But I got at least some (hopefully acceptable!) sound of the horn and am for the first time since a long time able to share a fresh recording here!

- 'Home Stretch PB' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 1.5):

I did also record a take with the other backing, but that one annoyed me even more. But I might share it later this month!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I normally love playing the Blues, but not so much these types of tunes as selected for this month TOTM (sorry Michael!).

But... the wife and my direct neighbours were away this afternoon and I needed to see if my horn still plays, because I will have my first Big Band rehearsal coming Tuesday and almost didn't play since March 2020 (you can all figure out why!).

So I grabbed my horn, did put a very soft Rico Plasticover 1.5 on my Florida no USA 10* and did try to record a quick and dirty take at low volume (I have more neighbours than the ones that were not at home this afternoon!). The backing track didn't inspire me to really play, so the take is nothing more than some one trick pony noodling. But I got at least some (hopefully acceptable!) sound of the horn and am for the first time since a long time able to share a fresh recording here!

- 'Home Stretch PB' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 1.5):

I did also record a take with the other backing, but that one annoyed me even more. But I might share it later this month!
Finally ! It was time to listen to you again :)

Reactions: mrpeebee

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts
Finally ! It was time to listen to you again :)
Thanks Guido, iIt was good to post something new, even while not my preferred style.

I could hear in your take that you have much more feel for this style of improvisation than I have, well done. :)

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Sorry? :) I can tell you exact same what your are saying. I offered this just because when I played all of them from "Nothing but Blues" these 2 really attracted me during that particular practice time.
And I was pretty excited, even not fun at all these types :)

I needed to see if my horn still plays, because I will have my first Big Band rehearsal coming Tuesday and almost didn't play since March 2020 (you can all figure out why!).

So was a good time for us on TOTM to have Peter playing again. Here I can say that your horn still plays (as you noted too, I guess :) ). And even most important YOU play.

But I got at least some (hopefully acceptable!) sound of the horn and am for the first time since a long time able to share a fresh recording here!
More than acceptable :)

Why not? The proposed backing track played not by "so bad' :) musicians as you know. The type of blues may more "uncomfortable" I would say.

And the last... I really liked your playing. Melodical and interesting even with the TYPE of tune you "hate" :)
I have no idea what will happen to me when I will come to record it... Now have some other tunes that want to touch. But one evening I will give a shot.
Please let me know if you'll like it :) then...
Hi Peter,
Thank you very much for your work and upload.
see please my thoughts right in your response.
Michael.

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts
Hi Peter,
Thank you very much for your work and upload.
see please my thoughts right in your response.
Michael.
Thanks Michael. :)

It's not that I hate these type of backings, but I'm a player by feeling (I think it's the same for you) and in some cases I get insprired to play and in other cases less! In the end it's just all personal preference, nothing more than that.

Looking forward to your take(s). :)

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And here is my take with the second backing.

- 'Modal Blues PB' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 1.5):
Sure there is a lot of nice stuff... and if there were some uncertain things at the beginning, it becomes minor absolutely covered by individuality of sound and Peter's creativity during the rest of the play.
I really find it very nice, relaxed and talkative.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: mrpeebee

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not really sure I'd call this "modal" blues (So What is what I'd call modal), but here's what I heard on the changes this morning.
Boy, does this track speed up or what?
Remove the space before soundcloud to listen:
https:// soundcloud.com/randulo/modal-blues/s-x6PE2IHWAct
Beautiful take. Melody is there. Nice sound and self-expression.

Thanks randulo!

Reactions: randulo

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 38 Posts