Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brandon has passed the honor on to me, and I thought I would get this up before I go out of town for a few days. This is a classic Dizzy Gillespie tune that you'll occasionally also find under the name Algo Bueno. This tune kicks my butt big time so I thought I would use this opportunity to focus on it.

Coltrane, Stitt, Getz, Chris Potter....they've all recorded this tune over the years. For me the ultimate version is Sonny Rollins on "Live At The Village Vanguard", but there are a ton more great recordings and videos out there.

Good luck everyone, and looking forward to hearing this month's recordings!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Rennie - looking forward to hearing you again (if it works out for you)! Sure I'll try to come up with something, so don't say you havent been warned...

You know it, you love it... Sonny Rollins Live at the Village Vanguard. Man, do I love his playing and sound on this...

http://youtu.be/Kfwaz7BDknc

·
Registered
536 Posts
there was that recording of Sonny's from Aix en Provence in 1959 where he plays this as a trio, must try and hunt that out

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Hey Richard,

Hope you post some playing too this month! I have the Sonny in Aix sound file, a really interesting "deconstruction" of the piece, in the typical way he did things by that time. As if he had played all there was in the tune and now starts scrubbing the canvas to see what else is there to be had. I'll put it up here when I've found it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Richard,

Hope you post some playing too this month! I have the Sonny in Aix sound file, a really interesting "deconstruction" of the piece, in the typical way he did things by that time. As if he had played all there was in the tune and now starts scrubbing the canvas to see what else is there to be had. I'll put it up here when I've found it.
Rennie- I think that is the same album I used to have a burned copy of but have since lost. If it's the one I'm thinking of he plays this insane version of an old standard (either I Remember You or It Could Happen To You, I think) .... he blows like crazy on the tune for about 15 minutes and then comes right back in on the head, but has the presence of mind to displace every other melody note by an octave. It blows my mind every time .... I would love to get a copy of that again!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well after listening to all those great version, I'm reluctant to post. i love the Coleman Hawkins version and the live Sonny version is really great.
i did a take on tenor and then after hanging out and drinking some wine, my wife (she's a band teacher) brings home a new student model Selmer soprano to help her teach her class.
she gave me a reed and I used the mouthpiece in the case... so after about 2 or three minutes I said.. hey, what the hell.. so there's a soprano version. haven't played soprano in years.
i was struggling a bit with the horn, but it actually doesn't sound too bad.. i was surprised.

http://www.soundclick.com/paulhannah

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Well after listening to all those great version, I'm reluctant to post. i love the Coleman Hawkins version and the live Sonny version is really great.
i did a take on tenor and then after hanging out and drinking some wine, my wife (she's a band teacher) brings home a new student model Selmer soprano to help her teach her class.
she gave me a reed and I used the mouthpiece in the case... so after about 2 or three minutes I said.. hey, what the hell.. so there's a soprano version. haven't played soprano in years.
i was struggling a bit with the horn, but it actually doesn't sound too bad.. i was surprised.

http://www.soundclick.com/paulhannah
I listened to the tenor take. Man, Perfect take. You're obviously very comfortable with this stuff.

I'm shaking in my boots a little about posting this one. But have determined to do each one no matter what.

EDIT: I am looking for a Chart and Backing track that work together for this tune. Please help a brotha out!!!!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Always difficult to post after Paul the Great :).

As usual I didn't have much time to work on this tune, just printed the score and played the theme a few times before hitting record. No backing track available, so it's just some running through the chords with an unstable rhythm! Anyhow, here it is:

- Woody 'n You (solo Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11868911

·
Registered
818 Posts
Always difficult to post after Paul the Great :).

As usual I didn't have much time to work on this tune, just printed the score and played the theme a few times before hitting record. No backing track available, so it's just some running through the chords with an unstable rhythm! Anyhow, here it is:

- Woody 'n You (solo Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11868911
Oh Please... Thanks for the new title, but it ain't all that!

GREAT sound mr peebee.... that's quit a piece... so what is a 10*.. .125"? that's a lot of real estate... sounds good though..

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Thanks Paul. For me you are "Paul the Great", always enjoy your very high quality postings to our TOTM threads :).

A Link 10* tip is 0.135". That mouthpiece is like a wild animal, bit hard to control for me at times (I don't play much), but I like it and it gives me a lot of power (required for the Big Band I play in) :).

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Did a little jamming over the weekend with an old drummer/percussionist friend and took a hack at this one...after editing out the worst parts, there wasn't much left. Going for something a little different, guess we did accomplish that. Maybe we should have tried Woodchoppers Ball instead...

Woo Dyn U

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I've never heard that Sonny Rollins trio clip (the Aix en Provence one) and it's awe-inspiring. Further reminder why Sonny Rollins is my favorite jazz improviser of all time (regardless of instrument).

Only had time to listen to Paul's Tenor clip. Nice tenor sound as always. Clearly you're comfortable with the tune...so maybe it's time to stretch out a little :)

Will listen to a few more later this week. I may put one up myself...I love this tune. And maybe on clarinet too, ha.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice clips everybody .... I've had a chance to listen a bit to all of them, and the best part is that they're all TOTALLY different. Paul, your tenor take was ridiculous! I have my first take to post shortly .... I say first because I will definitely shed this tune some more and hopefully get a better take together at the end of the month. BTW- I've had people ask me for a play-along track. All I have is the Aebersold track from Volume 64 "Four & More", which has a slightly different bridge. I'm hoping my Dropbox link works, so here it is.... https://dl.dropbox.com/u/102373270/2-09 Algo Bueno.mp3

1 - 20 of 55 Posts