Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'll also consult with a couple of local sound engineers but thought I'd ask here too.

I'm using a bass clarinet with a pickup or mic and connecting it to a pedal. I want to use two independent pedals, meaning I don't want to put them in a chain so the signal from one goes through the other.

What is the best way to do that? Someone suggested that even a regular "devider" (not sure if this is how it's called in English) and put one to devide the cable to the two pedals and the other to combine them for one consule input. I won't need to combine them if I can use two inputs on the consule, but it's possible on rare occasions I'll need to use one input.

By best I mean smallest and lightest. I guess I can use a sort of "channel" like a preamp with two outputs, or stereo outputs I can pan completely, or a small mixer, etc. but really rather not to have to get something like that (meaning carrying another device to the concert, maybe also another PSU, etc.).

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
The simplest method is a switchbox. This will have an input for the mic, with send and returns for each switch. the send for each switch goes into the pedal - the output from the pedal goes into the corresponding return.
When all switches are off the signal passes straight through the switchbox, when one or other of the switches is pressed the signal is diverted to the selected pedal.
They're cheap to buy (or build) and don't require any power...though the leads required make them a bit messy.

The downside is that the pedal must always be powered up...unless you're happy to remember to switch them on before you divert the signal to them.

Is there a particular reason for wanting this particular setup though? Most pedals work with a passthrough when in the off position - which is why you generally daisy-chain them.

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
I guess you could use one of those Boss Line Selector pedals.

EDIT: Is this for live or studio use?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
I assumed from Nitai's post, he wants both pedals at the same time, but in parallel not in series so it's not a case of one or the other, for which switching or bypassing would do the trick.

There may be a good reason for wanting them in parallel, but I think it's unusual.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Yes, that's what I figured. I think you can do that with the Boss pedal I mentioned. (I'll have to check mine if that's true).

·
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assumed from Nitai's post, he wants both pedals at the same time, but in parallel not in series so it's not a case of one or the other, for which switching or bypassing would do the trick.
Yes, that's exactly right.

The simplest method is a switchbox... When all switches are off the signal passes straight through the switchbox, when one or other of the switches is pressed the signal is diverted to the selected pedal.
Thanks but I think what you describe has only one of the pedals working each time (if I understand)? I want both working together at the same time but without one going to the other... or the other going to one :)

The downside is that the pedal must always be powered up...unless you're happy to remember to switch them on before you divert the signal to them.
No problem since both are essentially on all the time.

Is there a particular reason for wanting this particular setup though? Most pedals work with a passthrough when in the off position - which is why you generally daisy-chain them.
Yes, because both are essentially on all the time :)
I can't have one going to the other and need both to work all the time.

I guess you could use one of those Boss Line Selector pedals.

EDIT: Is this for live or studio use?
Live. If possible, I really rather not have another pedal, another thing to press/click, another PSU (prefer not to use batteries). If something like this is necessary and there's no simpler way I can have a a small preamp made which will have what I need... but really hoping I don't have to do that...

Thanks

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
The only way I can think of is to use a mixer and use two different aux sends to feed the effects, then bring them back through two line level inputs. If you then want to send them out to two different feeds, assign the output left or right.

·
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks. If I really have to do that I guess I'll ask a local maker (because it's better and more specifically made than commerical options) to build a small box/preamp with and input and two/stereo outputs, each going to one pedal. Or possibly a type of box with send and returns for each pedals, panning them for two outputs. When I think about it, I kind of wanted a preamp for my pickup anyway for a better signal. Now carrying the pedal I rather not carry more things... so first thing I'll try the regular "devider" someone suggested and see how that goes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I don't know if you found you answer yet, but did you try just using a "Y" connector. I use this for inputting two mics into one channel on my mixer, and it works well, but I don't know if it would work the other way around. Of course you would need the type jacks you are using, not the XLR shown here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/XLR-M-Male-...857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aadf6ba71

I have one of these, and it does what you need for sure, but it has XLR connectors, not 1/4" phone jacks: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...PLITCom_Pro_Microphone_Splitter_Combiner.html

·
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

The Y connector is what I meant by "devider" (didn't know the name in English). This is the first thing someone suggested, but I understand this could have issues depending on what you connect, like hums, etc. I think I'll try that first and see how it works.

A better but bigger alternative is supposed to be an isolting splitting box, I guess something a bit similar to the one in your link but with PL (1/4" jack) connections. For example I found this one http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=us&lang=en
There's also this one which seems to be able to have both ouputs working simultanously http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=90&cat=13&id=78
A switch box like Steve suggested would also work but would be annoying to have to switch before playing each pedal. A similar but much more annoying method would be to connect and disconnect from each pedal before playing to it...

I'll look into having something made locally, maybe with a preamp and a splitter combined so it's as small as possible. I'm going to see the cable guy (really... a guy who makes cables) anyway so I'll ask, maybe he would have a suggestion.

Thanks

·
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up with an A/B/Y box.
The Boss LS-2 seem to do what I want and keep each send/return seperated from the other, but there are two possible issues I couldn't find. The volume from both channels might be louder than the same playing from each looper, plus it wasn't clear if each looper would be feeding back into itself (possibly making it gradually louder, or any other issue).
So I went with what is supposedly one of the best A/B/Y boxes and will check both A/B and Y.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts