Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm looking to get my son a sax for Christmas. I've seen two used saxs in great condition for around $500. One is a Selmer as600 and the other is a Yamaha-23. He's currently playing an older model Vito we got him in Elementary school. We was thinking about buying him a new/used Intermediate/Entry Pro sax but second guessed doing that just yet. Would either or these be a better upgrade for him? Pros and Cons for each of these. Thanks for any advice you'll might have for me. Merry Christmas All!
Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,318 Posts
Hello all, I'm looking to get my son a sax for Christmas. I've seen two used saxs in great condition for around $500. One is a Selmer as600 and the other is a Yamaha-23. He's currently playing an older model Vito we got him in Elementary school. We was thinking about buying him a new/used Intermediate/Entry Pro sax but second guessed doing that just yet. Would either or these be a better upgrade for him? Pros and Cons for each of these. Thanks for any advice you'll might have for me. Merry Christmas All!
Steve
I would say the 23 as part are easy to find and they are easy to work on. I don't know much about the Selmer student models, but the 23 is a solid horn.

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
126 Posts
What's the scoop on his current Vito? I know that there is a window in time where Yamaha made horns for Vito so it could be a YAS-23 under the Vito branding.

My initial thought - Give his current horn a good setup (check for leaks and make necessary adjustments) with a reputable tech followed by lessons.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you have a Conn-Selmer dealer in your area (they sell new AS600s), they probably have a repair staff who can work on the horn.

IMO, $500 sounds low for either instrument in good playable condition.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The AS600 is a Conn-Selmer made in Taiwan. The Yamaha is Japanese, although Yamaha is now having some of their student models made in Taiwan as well these days. Speaking as someone that owns both brands I would suggest that you go with the Yamaha. They are both well made instruments but IMO the Yamaha 23 is just a step above the AS600, in both play-ability and re-sale. But, it really depends on what condition each horn is in. $500 is a good price for either of these horns but if you have to sink more money into one of them to make it playable, then it really isn't a $500 horn. Have someone reputable check them and make sure to get a guarantee on it. The last thing a student needs is an instrument that doesn't function correctly. It adds to frustration and quite often makes them want to quit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the scoop on his current Vito? I know that there is a window in time where Yamaha made horns for Vito so it could be a YAS-23 under the Vito branding.

My initial thought - Give his current horn a good setup (check for leaks and make necessary adjustments) with a reputable tech followed by lessons.
I'm not sure. I'll have to look it up. My son is really liking the alto sax and we wanted to get him an intermediate/pro sax but its so much money to spend without knowing anything about them. I seen a Selmer La Vioux in black lacquer for $2000 also a Yamaha 480 for around the same price new. Should we spend he extra for one of those Or get him a better quality student sax for now while hes still learning and a teenager?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late response. Worked late yesterday and then forgot my password. Haha Does anyone have any suggestions for a horn around the $2000 mark? If we went that route?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there a difference between the YAS23 and 200AD? I found two YAS23 that are 7 years old for $500 and a couple of 200AD that are 3 years old for $500. Newer the better shape I'm guessing.Sorry for all the questions i just want to keep his interest in playing the sax. His Vito is constantly having problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Here is the model number that is stamped on the side. #527812. Not sure where it was made, was purchased at Conrad music. Is this the YAS23 under the Vito branding?

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
126 Posts
Thanks for the serial number and the pic. Is there a model number? I am rather new to the sax world and hope those with more knowledge will be able to help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,332 Posts
Here is pic of sax.
It IS a Yamaha, Japan...either a 21 or a 23. SO, NO point in buying a 23...because the Vito is that (almost zero differences between a 21 and a 23).

No, Vito stencils made by Yama never have a model # engraved on 'em.

It is a good horn, so IMHO unless you are ready to spend $800 for used or $1500 for new...which would provide you with a budget to really buy a 'step-up' from your Vito....there is little point in buying another Alto.

I would say, as already suggested....spend $250 or so having a tech put the current Vito into good regulation and removing any leaks. The fact that his current Vito is 'having problems' has nothing whatsoever to do with the model of horn itself, but rather with the current condition of the horn. A sax needs to be kept up, and then really every few years needs more than just a spot-repair/tune up once or twice. It may also be whoever you have been taking it to just isn't all that good a repair person on saxes.

Do THAT, then perhaps, if you really wanted to get your kid a holiday gift, buy him a mouthpiece or two....or a sax stand, or both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It IS a Yamaha, Japan...either a 21 or a 23. SO, NO point in buying a 23...because the Vito is that (almost zero differences between a 21 and a 23).

It is a good horn, so IMHO unless you are ready to spend $800 for used or $1500 for new...which would provide you with a budget to really buy a 'step-up' from your Vito....there is little point in buying another Alto.

I would say, as already suggested....spend $250 or so having a tech put the current Vito into good regulation and removing any leaks. The fact that his current Vito is 'having problems' has nothing whatsoever to do with the model of horn itself, but rather with the current condition of the horn. A sax needs to be kept up, and then really every few years needs more than just a spot-repair/tune up once or twice. It may also be whoever you have been taking it to just isn't all that good a repair person on saxes.

Do THAT, then perhaps, if you really wanted to get your kid a holiday gift, buy him a mouthpiece or two....or a sax stand, or both.
Thanks for all the info!!! I've been trying to research about his sax for awhile and never came up with anything. Very Impressive. Any suggestions on a sax around $800 used or $1500 new? Also, what kind of mouthpiece would you go with. He has a Yamaha 4c know i believe.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Thanks you JayeLID for the verification of what I suspected when it comes to the horn. I stand beside my original statement - get the horn a good set-up and lessons. A mouthpiece or two and an assortment of reeds could make for a fun Christmas morning. Perhaps something from 10MFan would be a good mouthpiece starting point - www.10mfan.com

If you doubt the Yamaha student horns, check out these reviews and you can get a better understanding about the design quality of the 21/23 horns.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Yamaha_YAS21.htm

This one is about the YTS-23 tenor.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/yamaha_yts23.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Can I ask how you know its a Yamaha 21 or 23? Did the serial number tell you that? Or the picture? I'm just curious of how to find out year and make of this Vito sax.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, I can see what the problem is now. The neck is on backwards and the mouthpiece is upside down. Straighten those two things out and the horn will definitely play better ...
LMAO. Thats the pic from the marketplace post we bought it from. A few years ago. I don't have the sax here to take a pic because its at his school.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,178 Posts
I’m fairly certain that is a Japan Made Vito which is identical (except color) to the Yamaha 23. Great student horn and unless you child is going pro should be perfect for middle and high school. Not a fan of the student Selmer horns. By the way the YAS-21 doesn’t have the little support piece under the neck bend.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Can I ask how you know its a Yamaha 21 or 23? Did the serial number tell you that? Or the picture? I'm just curious of how to find out year and make of this Vito sax.
Thanks,
Steve
for one thing, the bell key guard is very distinctive. also, fwiw, yamaha can provide production info for their horns based on serial number but they can't / won't do the same for vitos.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts