Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this seems to be the part of the Forum that this question should be asked, but if it's in the wrong place, pls just move it.
I saw a Selmer USA wood clarinet for sale marked thusly:

Selmer
USN
SPECIAL
MADE BY
Selmer
ELKHART, INDIANA

the "USN" is cut into the wood as a very very thin line.

I assumed that USN meant made for the Navy, but there are no periods in between the letters, and the instrument is made in USA, and all other military instruments that I've seen stamped have been top-line pro models.
I've seen "U.S. QUARTERMASTER CORPS" , "U.S.N.", "U.S.M.C." etc

all of these have been top pro models, have had periods after the letters, and have had the military marking separate from the normal logo stamping...........on this one, it was part of the model name.

My guess is that it's a Selmer Signet Special. Would that be correct? Or, if for the military, would it be something higher quality?
Only thing is, the throat keys are just 3 post.
The sn was approx 12xxx

thanks for any expertise...........

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,538 Posts
It's a SELMER USA not France

USN ( Navy).

Not of a very high quality, I think.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
obviously USA since that's where Elkhart Indiana is. So I have no idea why you'd even need to mention that.

also am not interested in what you "think".......only facts from people who might actually possess same.

for example, a Selmer Signet Special is not a pro horn, but may still be considered high quality, "high quality" being subjective, which I'm not interested in.
I'm asking what exactly this might be in Selmer USA's model lineup.
as mentioned, in the past all military-issue instruments I've come in contact with have been top-line. But have had the military branch included separately from the normal logo, rather than incorporated into the logo area itself.
So I'm not sure if it's Navy or not, since Selmer USA isn't their top-line. Or whether they're now buying semi-pro-level horns for the troops.
Just don't know.....so am asking.
The "Special" could refer to it being a military-branded Signet Special, or it could be some other model with the "Special" designating that it was for the military, or the USN could mean something other than Navy.
Does anyone have facts rather than speculation?
thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
A photo might help. Keep in mind this is a forum not a helpline, and discounting postings like you have discourages any poster who is uncomfortable stating absolutes. I make statements here that I'm 99.9% sure of, but I often qualify them as I don't consider myself infallible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,785 Posts
'obviously USA since that's where Elkhart Indiana is. So I have no idea why you'd even need to mention that.'

Okay, wise guy, 'Selmer USA' is the name of the company in Elkhart (at that time) and it is always used to distinguish it from 'Selmer Paris' which is a separate company, and vice-versa - that is, among the more knowledgeable members.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,538 Posts
indeed, sorry, I don’t “ possess “ the same horn but I have owned a Signet stamped with Selmer USA.

I don’t think that MY Selmer Signet USA (non military) was a special horn. I sold it for little cash.

Yours will be worth a lot more...

As for Elkhart, look at this picture.

This horn is made in France....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts