Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
then there was Dominic ( Cucinotti) Music with horns called Selmer Artist series or Selmer Artist Limited ( this was absolutely a con) offering Selmer mouthpieces on Chinese horns that he imported.
I fell for that one in the early 2000s when buying a tenor for college; it was a gorgeous silver tenor but man it sucked to play. I got super lucky selling it on ebay and recouped my costs, and was able to purchase a friend's YTS-52. Big improvement!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
the question is whether the one who bought it for you fell for it too... :twisted: :whistle:

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
the question is whether the one who bought it for you fell for it too... :twisted: :whistle:
I felt bad for maybe... a minute. I was just happy that I got out of that without losing my shirt and was able to move forward. Of course that Yamaha soon led to a Martin Committee II and now a Couf Superba I... and I am VERY happy with the Couf! I have had it longer than any other tenor I've had, going on 6 years now I believe.

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
by the way, for next time, there are (or rather were) many more Selmers that aren't Selmers at all.

Selmer London, Selmer Pennsylvania, Selmer ' Artiste" France, Zelmer, Selma, Selmer Bundy,

then there was Dominic ( Cucinotti) Music with horns called Selmer Artist series or Selmer Artist Limited ( this was absolutely a con) offering Selmer mouthpieces on Chinese horns that he imported.
It wasn't just Dominic that had those. I think they were originally made for Brook-Mays music. The Artist 42 (alto) and 44 (tenor). Bodies made in China and the necks and mouthpieces from Selmer Paris. I don't remember the deal with the Artist Ltd, but they were similar.

I have a TM44 on eBay right now. Exactly the same mouthpiece as an S80 with a different outside shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
by the way, for next time, there are (or rather were) many more Selmers that aren't Selmers at all.

Selmer London, Selmer Pennsylvania, Selmer ' Artiste" France, Zelmer, Selma, Selmer Bundy,

What is the Selmer Pennsylvania like as a player? Scale of 1-10??

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
If it is a Kohlert that we are talking about it plays nicely. They are very good instruments. I would put them in the same category of many mechanically less sophisticated horns than the very top of the category and give it a 7.
Mind you, each saxophone has to be assessed on its particular merits.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts