Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a number of questions I want to find out about various saxes and stuff, and this is one of them.

What is the difference between a Selmer (USA) and a Selmer (Paris) sax, (most interested in altos)?

How do you work out if a particular Selmer is a USA or Paris variety?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
A kinder reply would point out to a, presumably, not too knowledgeable but interested poster that Selmer Paris are professional line saxes whereas Selmer USA are not. Selmer Paris will have "Selmer Paris" engraved in a wreath, Selmer USA just "Selmer". BUT, some Mark Vis had both because they were assembled in the USA.

New Paris saxes are still made in France. New Selmer USA are Taiwanese and Chinese imports.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
bmsj said:
A kinder reply would point out to a, presumably, not too knowledgeable but interested poster that Selmer Paris are professional line saxes whereas Selmer USA are not. Selmer Paris will have "Selmer Paris" engraved in a wreath, Selmer USA just "Selmer". BUT, some Mark Vis had both because they were assembled in the USA.

New Paris saxes are still made in France. New Selmer USA are Taiwanese and Chinese imports.
Not to correct you but to add info. The older Selmer USA's are considered pro level horns. There are a ton of threads in this section about the quality and build of Selmer USA; especially the ones from the '80s. I have a USA Alto and a USA Tenor from that era and LOVE them both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
77 Posts
Those Great 1980's Selmer USA pro horns

There was a lot of collaboration to produce the Selmer Omega sax (and also the Selmer Omega clarinet) and both were designed as pro horns. Eventually they dropped the Omega engraving. The early model was a 162, then it became a 100 then later on a 110.

These are great horns. I've heard that Boots Randolph of Yakety Sax fame is or was a Selmer Paris artist, but plays on Selmer USA pro horns. I've run into a few of the pro models. Many are not marked with the model number. You need to know how to distinguish from the intermediate 200 model. The 300 had no bell engraving, but the 200 and 300 had similar extensive engraving. The 100 series horns were born with metal domed resonators and blue/black needle springs. The 200 series had brown resonators and blunt white metal springs.

All that aside..... these horns have a lot of guts and soul. Eerily similar to Mark 6 sound, but different. Some folks call these Mark 6 juniors. If I were strapped for money and wanted a Mark 6, I'd get a USA 100 model.

The best one I ever got was rather ugly, having lost most of its lacquer... but what a sound! I paid a mere $150 for it on ebay!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Selmer Paris and Selmer USA can be looked at as two separate companies. Selmer Paris is in France and makes the pro saxophones. Selmer USA is a totally separate thing that makes its own line, student to pro horns that span all woodwinds (clarinets, flutes, oboes, saxophones etc.) and brass. Selmer USA is now Conn-Selmer (because Conn and Selmer USA merged) and have the rights to distribute the horns made in Paris France to the USA; along with Yanigisawa. They also own Bach, Armstrong, Emerson, you name it! Our selmer rep even told us last week that they're also working with Brennan to make a new pro level flute. Anyway, Conn-Selmer still has a saxophone line, student to pro - the new aristocrat for students and the La Vie and La Vox for pro- but none are made in America anymore. They are all made oversea in Taiwan. But anyway, like you can say Yanigisawa (distributed by Conn-selmer) is from Japan, and is its own company, the same goes with Selmer Paris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts