Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a (slow) hunt for a low A bari to complement my trusty and roaring Martin- IBICO. USA Horn has a Selmer USA, Signet low A bari for sale, S/N 771,5XX.

Has anybody exerienced this kind of beast (sound, keywork, etc.)? I heard on an older version of this Forum that they might have been maufactured by Buescher (400 ?). Is that true ?

Thanks in advance

J

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
I have not played a signet bari. However, i do remember hearing that Selmer USA was using a lot of former Buescher workers to build their horns. I also heard that some of the Selmer USA horns had serial numbers that were continuation of buescher numbers.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
771,xxx puts in the the very late '70's. Essentially a continuation of the de-evolution of Bueschers. By that time, it was a pretty solid intermediate horn that the Yamaha's were essentially eating the lunch of in terms of price and features.

Not worth a lot as baris go. Should be a very big sounding horn, but quality had drooped quite a bit by then. Get a good one, and it's a runner.

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you. I'll finally settle for a 11M...
J

·
8,588 Posts
An 11m should do nicely. You should be quite happy with it.

·
8,588 Posts

·
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FWIW, if you're not stuck on a low-A horn, I do have a vintage Buescher Big B bari out there on the market.
Thanks indeed, but I definitely need a low-A for a rather "modern" big band I'm playing with. As mentioned, my bari of choice is a 1938 IBICO (Martin) low-Bb with a ferocious tone I love.
All the best
J

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Here's the deal on the Buescher and Selmer-Buescher Low A baris; it's a big, clunky bari with awful keywork. It also plays in tune and produces absolutely the most earth-shaking bell tones of any bari. The next speaker-busting Low A bari is the Martin Magna. Keywork is loads better than the Selmer whatever, and it also has the RH thumb low A key, which was a terrific idea. This horn along with the Selmer Paris were the only low A baris with one-piece bells until the Japanese and Taiwan horns came out. The problem with the Martin Magna is price - they are scarce and in-demand.
Jaques; I know what you mean by the sound of a Martin bari - mine is a 1956 'The Martin Baritone' and it really barks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
rustyreed. I play a Selmer Signet low A bari. It does not have klunky key-work. It also has the double low a set up-one for the thumb& one for the left pinky finger.It has a big sound in all registers and for a reasonably priced horn it does the job nicely.My set-up is a metal Levelaire m.p.& a Plasticover reed. The lead alto player tells me he can hear it at all times. The lead alto & bari should be dominant in the sax section. I got it on ebay with a new case & new pads for $1700. Beats 3to4 thousand Good Hunting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts