Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a student who brought in a Selmer USA clarinet with S/N: 118909. Judging by the case, it doesn't look much older that 1980's, but he's claiming his great aunt played it in the 60's. :|

I've seen some of the other forum posts about Selmer USA clarinets, but but still at a loss.

Some more details:

The upper and lower joints are grenadilla, and the bell/barrel are plastic. There are no other markings on it besides the serial number at the bottom of the lower joint and the "Selmer USA" logo at the top of the upper joint.

Any help identifying the model would be great!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,283 Posts
The case may have been replaced but that's hard to say.
The clarinet could be an old Bundy or Signet. Again it's hard to say.
The most accurate way to find out year/model is to send an email to Conn-Selmer with the serial number and wait for them to get back with you with the information. Or you can do a little looking on clarinetperfection.com. There is a pretty good list of serial numbers listed there for many of the more 'popular' clarinet brands.
I contacted Conn-Selmer with questions abour my Selmer USA flute and they responded within the week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
873 Posts
With a plastic barrel and bell (assuming the instrument was originally sold that way) it could be a Bundy Special, a Buescher Aristocrat 821, or I think one of the Signet models may have been like that for a time.

However, just saying "Selmer USA" on the upper joint is puzzling - can you provide pictures of the instrument? The serial number dates to the early-to-mid '70s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts