Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this Baritone mouthpiece at a church garage sale this morning… It was labeled as a Tenor mouthpiece, but is actually a Bari.
I have never heard anyone speak of a Selmer USA metal mouthpiece before but figured for $20 I would give it a go.
My Bari is disassembled atm.. (actually a 1964 Bundy/Buescher eBay project for $75 that I am restoring..) but nonetheless unplayable currently so I have nothing to try the mouthpiece on.
Anyone have any knowledge, or better yet experience, with any of these mouthpieces?

BariMP_1.jpg BariMP_4.jpg BariMP_8.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,966 Posts
They made a lot of them in the '80s and '90s. I don't remember actually playing one but I haven't heard anything really bad about them. You got a great deal so give it a try when you get a chance.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I remember seeing one of these and trying it out in the mid 2000s. I don't remember anything in particular about it except I didn't choose it.

Looks kind of Dukoff-y around the baffle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,135 Posts
Yep, I’ve got one in a 7*! It’s a nice piece, super easy and immediate response. It’s very free-blowing relative to my Berg and can take a bit to tame. When you do, however, the result is a nice tone. It has a buzz to that is great for R&R. I use a RR 3.5 with nice results. Spend some time with reed and ligature placement, small adjustments can make quite a difference in my experience.

You got a steal at $20!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback..
I bought it with the condition that I could return it (yeah I know, its only $20 and I could ebay it for more than that).. and well as it is a Bari mouthpiece it obviously does not fit my Tenor which it was sold as.
If some of you think its pretty descent then I will keep it for my Bari as soon as I finish its restoration.

Thanks Again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,135 Posts
Oh definitely hang on to it, they are well made mouthpieces in my experience. The sound may or may not fit your concept, but it should blow!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts