Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,541 Posts
Model? New? Used? Store? Private party?
It's worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like an AS-100? Looks like it's in really good shape. Hoping others out there with them know more. Reading old threads...but don't know current values.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it for $650, it's like new, plays great, don't think it even needs any adjustment, comparing it to my yas-61, hard to hear a big difference, the 61 is a little thinner sound maybe. Keywork reminds me of a VI, like to do a side by side with someones VI.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It is indeed an AS-100 and an early one at that! The only difference between it an the Model 162 (Selmer USA's only "professional") is an oval pearl F# key whereas the 162 had a plain bar and the laquer color (the 162 had rose gold). I'm not even sure if the AS-100 had different engraving! In other words, while the Model number is different and it is marketed as an "intermediate model," there is only cosmetic differences between the two models! Quality control started dropping during this model's run but you have an early one which is good news! You should be able to ask $1-1.5K and be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, yea it plays great, the keys are kinda stiff like it's band new. I'll likely keep it, may switch from my yas-61 but it's so minty not sure if I should put wear on it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Wow! That's a nice one. Mine is about 3000 digits higher than yours - bought mine new in 1993.

Selmer USA's top of the line professional model, not quite the horn the Super Action 80 is purported to be, but a great axe nonetheless.

I play mine every now and again, I'm mostly playing a Buescher BigB alto these days, that AS100 is a heavy horn, hahaha!

Enjoy it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have found that, to get the "full" sound out of this model horn, it was necessary to substitute a MkVI neck and a Meyer 5 mouthpiece (my preference) to get the horn to "sing!" The sound is truly exceptional (dark and kinda smokey) with a soulful, blues(y) wail... Now, don't get me wrong! The keywork is definitely klunkier than a MkVI or even a SA80 but not overly so. It's 4/5th's the performance at 1/3rd the price!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a beat up Big B and it sounds so sweet, I've used it on jazz gigs, something special about it, just like modern horn's key-work better.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That looks like a 162 to me, never seen a AS100: I believe there were tenors stamped TS100, but the altos went Omega (metal F# keytouch bar)-162 (oval pearl F# keytouch)-AS110 (different style neck octave key, octave body/neck lever flush with body like Yamaha, spatula front F, angled high F#).

Beautiful condition! I think you got a good deal, I really love the sound of my AS110! Such a sweet horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,927 Posts
That looks like a 162 to me, never seen a AS100:

Beautiful condition! I think you got a good deal, I really love the sound of my AS110! Such a sweet horn.
AS100 = 162

AS-110 also = 162

I believe (?)

Also....and folks here would know better than I....were any 162's actually engraved "Omega" ?

I thought not....

JLoyer...you got a good deal. People on eFlay TRY selling these for $1200-ish, which is really a bit greedy, IMHO. But getting $800-850 for an Alto would be a reasonable price point.

·
Registered
425 Posts
AS100 = 162

AS-110 also = 162

I believe (?)

Also....and folks here would know better than I....were any 162's actually engraved "Omega" ?

I thought not....

JLoyer...you got a good deal. People on eFlay TRY selling these for $1200-ish, which is really a bit greedy, IMHO. But getting $800-850 for an Alto would be a reasonable price point.
Hi JayeLId, I think you're partly correct: AS100 = 162 (I stand corrected on my prev post: I blame old age!) neither model was stamped on the sax, main difference seems to be engraving and type of lacquer. I cannot see any other physical differences.
The AS110 is different (see my post above) from the 162/AS100, as well as keywork differences, the engraving is "vine" like, some say it is laser engraved (I have one and couldn't swear it is laser etched), mine is also a dark rose lacquer (ie.: not clear).
I also own an original "Omega", the only discernible difference from the later 162/AS100 is the hi F# key (although I read that the tuning was improved on the 162), not sure about finish as mine came from Texas and the lacquer looks like it's baked/roasted on, what would now be known as a "brute" finish!
The name "Omega" was never engraved on any model, it only showed on the brochures.
Cheers, M.
T

·
Registered
425 Posts
Last post and then I'll shut up: there is a 162/AS100 on eBay at the moment going for $3.5K ! Optimistic or what?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,927 Posts
The name "Omega" was never engraved on any model, it only showed on the brochures.
Cheers, M.
T
Ahhhh thanks...never knew that, but makes sense.

Last post and then I'll shut up: there is a 162/AS100 on eBay at the moment going for $3.5K ! Optimistic or what?
Exactly what I mean. MOST 162/164's which get put on eFlay these days with a BIN are actually insanely overpriced.

In 2016, this wasn't the case.

But what happens is, a model gets chatted up, gets a tag (in this case, "the American VI" or such), then after a short while sellers trying to cash in on it - push it to the hilt, and into ab$urdity land.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Yeah, the 'Omega' was not so-marked and it wasn't long before they started using the oval pearl high F# key. At the time, we didn't know anything about 'Omega' or 'Model 162' - it was just a good-looking/playing alto at an attractive price. In 1983 I decided to finally get a good alto - I just went to the music store one day, played the Selmer USA and bought it. #821009 'Omega'/162 and I still have it. Just about ready to put it in for an overhaul. I also have a USA tenor, #825659 Model 164 from around 1987. I did not buy it new - I think I got it for around $750 around 2000 or so. The original neck was in fine condition but absolutely was lifeless. I had a replacement MK VI neck that I played on it for years. I just got it back from overhaul yesterday and I tried a Sterling silver Paris Series III neck on it - magic combo! That neck also works great on my MK VI and they both fit exactly the same including the octave key - its a straight swap from one to the other. Fortunately I'm playing the original neck again on the VI so I'll just leave the III neck with the USA.
I strongly recommend if you get hold of a USA tenor that doesn't blow, at least try a III neck on it. Actually the same for a MK VI.
I tried a Paris neck on the Omega alto but never liked it as much as the original. The horn has a deeper sound with the original neck.

jloyer; you got a screaming deal on that horn. Get it tweaked at the repair shop and check it out with a tuner to see if you can use it or not. If it turns out to be not for you, I think you can make a little money on it. I have played Brilhart Level Air and Guardala Studio on mine with pretty much the same tuning on each. I have been playing the Studio on it for 30 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts