Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will like to know if this Selmer USA alto saxophone with serial number 827316 is a Omega 162 model or an AS100. I will also like to know the average selling price. I bought this sax an a professional sax in the late 80's early 90.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My AS100 is number 828355 - bought new in 1993.

I would think yours should be a 100 as well, but....

On mine, it has engraving on both sides of the bow by the C# key and engraving on the body tube by the strap hook. I think the lacquer color was darker on the 162's as my 100 has a yellower color than the pictures of the 162's I've seen.

The bell engraving is different on the 162's the 100 has a leafy thing coming from only ONE side of the SELMER logo - the 162's had a ribbony engraving coming from BOTH sides.

If I can find my old catalogs, I'll post pics later and you can compare the to your horn to get a more definite answer.

Good Luck

dv

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm still trying to find a definite answer: are the "TS100" and "AS100" stamped as such on the instrument? If so, I've never seen one!
Also, I thought the altos went from 162 straight to AS110: am I wrong?
Thank you for any clarification!
Cheers, M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
876 Posts
I believe the AS110 had the model engraved on the bell, but not the TS100 (I haven't seen one that did, anyway).

You're correct about the alto going straight from 162 to AS110, as far as I know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think you'll find a definitive answer based on the serial number. Neither the Model 162 nor the AS-100 had a model number anywhere on the horn. The both just have "USA" on the bell. The only differences that I'm aware of are almost entirely cosmetic. The horns transitioned from a metal bar high F# key to a pearl oval, from a rose gold lacquer to a brighter gold, from a metal thumb rest to a plastic thumb rest, and from fancy engraving on the bell to slightly less fancy engraving. I don't know where in those changes the Model 162 became the AS-100 though.

·
8,275 Posts
Somewhere in there they also went to the 'clear' lacquer same as the Super 80. A good picture will help, but the latest model had the tear-drop front F and the extended RH pinky keys like a S80. Whatever, they are all very nice horns, hand made with real pearls in Elkhart. Compared to what you can get now at that price, they were tremendous bargains. This is why they continue to rise in value. I have an 825xxx tenor that I really like because of both it's similarities to a Paris horn and it's differences.

·
8,275 Posts
Thanks for the brochures! Hadn't seen that info in many years. I bought my 162 in 1983 - I think it was $1150. I didn't know how to get a deal in the pre-internet days - just walked into the music store and laid my head on the chopping block. Whatever, I've had it ever since and it has always been a great alto regardless of the best efforts of the local 'techs' to destroy it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
$1150!?!? Dang!!! I got ripped off! LOL. I paid $1400 for mine in 1983. I was just out of high school though and honestly, the store could have sold me anything. The only horn I had to compare it to was the Bundy I'd played since 5th grade. Considering I've played the horn for 33 years now, I think I've gotten my money's worth...

Here's a flier for an early Omega alto. Note the metal bar F# and the metal thumb rest. I think those were the first two things to change as the horn transitioned from the 162 to the AS100.

Musical instrument Reed Reed instrument Musician Brass instrument

·
Registered
413 Posts
I like to think of the 162's and 164's as the "American cousins" to the MkVI alto and tenor saxes. You can definitely see the overall family resemblance but also the unique "American" aspect of these saxes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,989 Posts
Here's the AS100 from the 1994 catalog and the AS110 model from the 1997 catalog.

Also including a side-by-side of the "features" chart:
Hey, I found my old catalogs!!!!

These pics are the alto 162 Selmer from the 1986 Selmer Saxophone catalog:
WOW. This is really USEFUL, thanks ! Shows that , indeed, the models went from 162/164 to AS100/TS/100 then to AS110/TS110 without doubt.

Also pegs an accurate timeframe for all 3 models.
So we know the 162/4 existed at least from '83-'86, then the model had become the 100's by '93.
So somewhere between '87-'93, the 16X's gave way to the 100's.

It'd be interesting to determine where the serial number was, give or take a few thousand, when the 16X became the 100's.

Solid.

(BTW I have a Tenor 825,9XX and had an 824,XXX Alto, both of which which showed the features of a AS/TS100's (notably high F# touch), but were pretty early serials numeral in what most people report as being a 100 (most folks state 826,2XX-827,XXX & beyond). So we know somewhere in the 824,XXX - the change had happened ).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Selmer USA AS100 with serial number 827449 (with plenty of engraving on the bell and bow) based on the discussions in this thread. I bought this for my son 10 years ago from its original owner. I couldn't resist playing it myself a few times -- it is a great horn. Back in the day I had a Paris Mark VII tenor in high school (1977). This AS100 has s been sitting in the closet for a while and it's time to find it a new home. You folks sound fairly knowledgeable. What are these things worth and where is the best place to find a buyer? Thanks guys for any help you can give me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,593 Posts
welcome to SOTW.

Currently you do not YET qualify to sell here on the for sale section, this can only happen after 6 months membership and a minimum of 50 relevant to the saxophone posts.

You can certainly try, before of that to sell on Craiglist or Ebay, but not yet here.

Similar sales indicate that sellers try to sell these horns between $600 to $1000. But it is a tough world out there and it is not guaranteed that you will sell it anytime soon on the free market especially because , after it has been sitting in a closet for a while it would need at least a regulation if not more.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ha! Thanks milandro. It just seems to me that those on this site would best appreciate this type of horn more than someone on ebay. Thanks again. I wish this site had been around in my younger days when I was all about my Mark VII tenor and was playing out frequently. 50 relevant posts would have been easy to do in a week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,593 Posts
50 post AND 6 months membership :bluewink2:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,989 Posts
Just Sax...I have sent you a PM, feel free to reply if you like.

You have a number of options on how you can sell. Craigslist, eBay, Reverb.com, etc.

The trick would be to have it checked out by a tech first - if tech work is not over, say, $250....then it'd be best to invest in repairing it, then selling.

If the tech estimate is over that amount, just sell it as-is.

These are still off most people's radar, as they associate Selmer USA = student. But there are enough people with better radar around who know what these are all about.

Hey...why don't you pick up Tenor again ? :)

·
8,275 Posts
So, as a quick reference, the Model 162 Omega and the AS100 have a pearl front F and the AS110 has a tear-drop front F. There are other differences but that's the first thing I check. Also, the original Omega is the only one with a flat brass bar for high F#.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That jives with what I have learned. Quite frankly, once properly set up by your technician, the instrument should be one sweet sax! My 162's tone is sultry and dark compared to my son's Keilworth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts