Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old Conn albert system clarinet the other day that came with the oddest old Selmer mouthpiece. It is marked "H. Selmer A Paris" in an oval on top of the mouthpiece and "A" on the table. It is some sort of tunable mouthpiece. It does not have a cork tenon, but rather a threaded tenon that screws into the barrel of the clarinet allowing for tuning adjustment by lengthening or shortening the section. Of course I've seen similar things before, but they were always adjustable barrels, not mouthpieces. The thing that is confusing the heck out of me is that the barrel sure appears to be original to the clarinet (although it is unmarked), but it has the corresponding threaded sleeve for the mouthpiece to screw into. Could this be a modification to either the original barrel for this clarinet or to the mouthpiece itself? Any thoughts? I'll post some pics later.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, never mind, I spoke to soon. In re-assembling the clarinet just now I twisted the mouthpiece the opposite way aginst the barrel and found out that the threaded part is not actually attached to it (the mouthpiece). It is a standard corked mouthpiece that fit into a sleeve which is part of what must be the original adjustable barrel system for this clarinet. It was just super stuck before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts