Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had little luck finding solid info and opinions about this model. I have an opportunity to grab one at what could be a great price, and I’d love to hear opinions before I decide. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Well, based on the WWBW listing, it appears to be an Asian (China? Taiwan?) body with a Selmer Paris (made in France, or just labeled "Selmer Paris" because the company is named "Selmer Paris"?) neck, available in the usual variety of showy finishes.

Frankly I would expect it to be no better or worse than any of the better of the hundreds of Asian-made Selmer copies. I can't speak from direct experience but it looks like the market in Asian-made Selmer copy saxophones is rapidly becoming a commodity market, where the sellers frantically tout the benefits of their own name being laser engraved on the thing but in fact it's exactly the same as most of the rest that have different names laser engraved on them. I suspect that once you decide you want an Asian-made Selmer copy sax, the best way to proceed would be to pick a name that has the lowest cost.

Or, just get one that's a couple years old. I get the feeling these things are mail-ordered by the thousands for beginning band students that give up after two years, and then go straight to Craigslist.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts