Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am trying out a Selmer tenor that belongs to a friend. Serial # is in 820 series. Does anyone know the rough value of this beautiful sounding saxophone, so I can get an idea of how much to offer?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,457 Posts
Well, it could be a '58 MK VI (82,0xx), an '85 Selmer USA (820,xxx).

·
Registered
246 Posts
My tenor is a SA80III from 2009 with a #680sn. Its in very good condition as it’s rarely been played. I reckon I could get $4k for it. My alto is a Ref54 #740 from 2012, probably could only fetch $3500 - it’s well played, missing most lacquer. I’d say since the horn is from roughly early 2014, and in okay condition, you may be able to get $4500 for it as it is a jubilee edition. But sax prices are often subjective. You need the right buyer. $4300 is a good start point for a horn in good condition.

·
7,457 Posts
Hey 1saxman- the serial # is 820942 if that narrows it down.
If it was an alto that would be a Selmer USA but the tenor started a little later. At least I don't think there was one that early. Does it have 'Selmer USA' on the bell? I don't think Selmer Paris has gotten that far in numbering yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
I have recently sold a Henri Selmer France (are you referring to one of those?) SA80 II in very good state for €2200.

In Europe they are not at all rare and rarely fetch more than €2500 in private sales. I see that people are quoting much higher prices ( I wish they would be around as buyers when I am selling!) but those are way above the prices in and around northern Europe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still somewhat lost on this one guys. I want to make sure I give fair price for this horn. Again, the details:

Tenor Sax
Selmer USA engraved on the bell
Serial # 820942

One person play testing it the other day commented he felt like most USA Selmers were really more intermediate quality, but with the disclaimer he really doesn't keep up with price/value of various makes.

I have done some looking around on the 'net including on Selmer sites and see NOTHING about this line of horns given the serial number and very little around history. I did come across this thread though, which made me even more nervous- someone saying these horns could get between 800 - 1300 on ebay- yikes! I was looking at offering around mid $2k.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/archive/index.php/t-147178.html (link to a thread discussing more about USA made Selmer horns).

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have a Selmer USA Model 1244 Tenor Sax as shown in the photo above. I bought it to have a back-up for my normal Tenor Sax (Balanced Action). I also play in an annual marching band reunion each fall and use the Selmer USA Sax for the football field. I think that it plays fine for occasional use (if my main horn is in the shop for a tune-up as it actually is right now). I bought it maybe 10 years ago...paid $ 650 as I recall ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
It sounds like a Selmer USA model 164 from the 80's...their pro offering, and very nice horns. In that case, you should not offer over $2000. If it's in great shape, maybe $1500, give or take? Maybe some Selmer USA experts can chip in...

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I agree with the above post. They are worth about $1500 and need to be in good to very good condition to get that. This is the pro USA model with the serial number you gave. I have owned a couple in the past.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
View attachment 230084

above, a pic of mine. If you zoom in, you will see it has blue pins- apparently, a distinguishing feature of this model. Does this change the thought this is a 164 or more convince, saxcop and SaxDadPaul? Thanks all for your help and input- very much appreciated.

·
7,457 Posts
That is the earliest tenor I have seen. Notice how it has the same flat F# bar and round pearl for alt. F# as the Model 162 'Omega' alto. I think you'll be very happy you got that one if its as good as it looks. I play a much later one (825xxx) and with the right neck its a monster - in my case the right neck is a Paris Series III.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts