Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I need a new neck for my SA 80 tenor. The original one has a few dents and i’m wondering whether a series iii neck would make a huge difference in opening up my sound. The horn sounds good, but feels a little stuffy, and yes, i’ve worked with different mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures...
Thoughts from anyone with experience of this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
A large music retailer told me that the Series III tenor neck along with the Super Action 80 and SA80 II sax is the hot combo. I am using III necks on my MK VI and Selmer USA tenors. The USA came with a SA80 II-type neck. I would bet that if you try a III neck you will like it, but you should also have your SA80 neck repaired - its good to have choices. Whatever you try, use a tuner when you play it. You can get a good free tuner app for your phone which is what I use, and its very handy for gigs or anything else, because its always in your pocket.
The Series III Jubilee necks now being produced are great and they come in all materials/finishes. I use a Sterling one on the USA and a brass lacquer on the VI. I can interchange them if I want or use the original VI neck on the VI, but really the III neck is better. And, I just had that original neck checked out and tuned up. It is better, but no match.
I saw a used III Sterling silver early Jubilee tenor neck on FB for $350. If I didn't already have one I would have jumped on that. This neck is unbelievable but also a little 'flexy' so you have to be careful with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know the neck angle is an issue on this tenor but i recently bought a series 2 jubilee neck for my SA80 2 alto it has a subtle but intereresting sound difference thats worth trying i think .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
It's a worth while upgrade. I've been using my SIII neck on a SA80 tenor for years. Love the combo to the point where the original neck is just sitting around. One of these days, I may get wise and sell it. Get the original fixed as it does offer a more compact and darker classical sound. That may come across as "stuffy" to some ears. It does have its place in certain circles though. Biggest reason why I keep mine is because I know the second I get rid of the thing, I'll get this awesome classical gig. :lol:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The higher arc of the neck of the sa80 tenors tends to put the horn closer to the body than with a low arc neck. If this is a problem for you, try the jazz lab sax holder and problem solved! The horn is not a “classical” saxophone and it’s not dark. It has focus and a slightly introvert sound (not as open and aggressive as a vintage Selmer).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts