Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many cases of someone selling a recent Selmer tenor neck and calling it by the wrong model. There are fairly obvious differences among the necks. The Series III neck is just like the late MK VI neck in profile. The Ref 36 and Ref 54 necks are 'flatter' (lower arch) and the octave rocker sits at the top of the tenon ring. Particularly with the 'Jubilee' necks which are not marked in any way the identification of each neck type can be challenging for many not experienced with all of them.
The MK VI and MK 7 necks are marked. The 80 Super Action and 80SAII are also marked but just in case Selmer has made a Sterling silver neck for them which would be unmarked, they are of the MK 7 high-arch design and are noticeably shorter than a MK VI neck.
There's a Ref 54 Sterling neck on ebay now that the seller says was made for the Series III but can be used on any of them, including the MK 7. In a way, he is correct because typically there's nothing stopping you from putting any of the necks on any other tenor. This usually doesn't work that well and I think he's committing a small fraud in stating otherwise. Its really important to know what necks can be replacements on your sax and sellers like this are not helping the situation.
If you play a Selmer tenor you should be able to ID any Selmer neck type at a glance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts
One of my Selmer III tenor necks has III stamped on the front.
My gold brass and silver plated III tenor necks do not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts
the tenon's and also the strip guards underneath can tell you something about the model sometimes also.
Yes, the strip guards on the III neck are plain.
Both the strip guard's on the 36 and 54 necks are the same (curved with a line through them).
The 54 and 36 tenor necks have lower profiles than the III neck.
Apparently there are slightly different 54 tenor necks as well.

I can play them all on my VII and III tenors, as well as a Barone neck sold by Phil for Selmer tenors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts