Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Selmer Tenor Family Portrait

Shameless brag - these are the Selmer tenors and are currently with me. Left to right are 22XXX BA, 47XXX SBA, 94XXX VI, 223XXX VI, 614XXX Series III. All of them are good players!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice! I bet that BA is the best sounding of the bunch.
It's very subjective! All of these horns are in top playing condition and seem to be some of the better examples of each model that I've tried. I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, but that they are all different and have their own unique character! They are all different enough from one another that you could probably blindfold me and have someone else play them and I could pick which one was which. That's what makes the idea of selling any of them so difficult, none of them are redundant voices in the bunch.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've been wanting to do something similar with my Buffets, thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
That's a nice looking family you got there.....and it won't be goofy in 30 years when you look back. They're always in style.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Is it just the camera angle or does the BA on the left end look like it is huge and muscular and could kick the a$$es of the other horns?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Please do, and PM me when it's up so that I can take a look!
I work at a school and we just closed for the next 2 days since the temps will not get above 0 for either day and the windchill factor is supposed to be -40... so I will have some time to do this!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Is it just the camera angle or does the BA on the left end look like it is huge and muscular and could kick the a$$es of the other horns?
I was thinking the same thing. Also thought that the 5-digit IV looks slight and delicate in comparison with the others.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking the same thing. Also thought that the 5-digit IV looks slight and delicate in comparison with the others.
Believe it or not, the SIII could kick the s**t out of all the other horns put together in a power competition. The BA probably has the next best amount of edge to the sound, but that silver series III is like a focused and sophisticated sonic weapon of mass destruction.....it could destroy a lead trumpet player if you did it right. I put it up against a very good King Super 20 and it blew it away too. The 5 digit VI is the best all around player, most colorful sound, easiest to play and has enough power to get you through anything. The 223K is equally as powerful as the BA but has a more contemporary sound and is like a wild animal. The SBA is the most lyrical, but won't win any tug-of-war matches. Like I said, they are all good but all very different!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I gotta ask ... Given the above how'd you land on letting the WMD be the one to let go out of the entire family?

Thanks for sharing the family portrait ... I aspire to a collection like this someday ... but my budget Buescher and Martin will have to do the trick until the kids are through college.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts