Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which take is played on which Selmer tenor?

• 1. T1 = BA / T2 = SBA / T3 = SA80

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 2. T1 = BA / T2 = SA80 / T3 = SBA

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 3. T1 = SBA / T2 = BA / T3 = SA80

• 4. T1 = SBA / T2 = SA80 / T3 = BA

• 5. T1 = SA80 / T2 = BA / T3 = SBA

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • 6. T1 = SA80 / T2 = SBA / T3 = BA

Votes: 3 15.8%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I recently met a fellow SOTW member who has a very nice Selmer Balanced Action tenor of 1938. I play a Selmer Super Balanced Action of 1952 and decided at the end of the evening to record a quick take of 'Tenor Madness' on both horns. Used the same mouthpiece (Otto Link Florida no USA 10*) and reed (Rico Plasticover 2) on both takes. Also just recorded (two weeks after the first ones) a take on my backup Selmer Super Action 80 of 1983 (on the same MPC and reed).

Soundclips:
T1. 'Tenor Madness' take 1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11777306
T2. 'Tenor Madness' take 2: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11777307
T3. 'Tenor Madness' take 3: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11777308

Tenors (in random order):
A. Selmer Balanced Action of 1938
B. Selmer Super Balanced Action of 1952
C. Selmer Super Action 80 of 1983

I'm very curious who of you can figure out which sax is played in which take (see poll). And also which sound you prefer and why.

Please don't bother too much about my playing: I'm just an amateur and it where all one shot takes recorded very late in the evening (far from perfect :mrgreen:).

EDIT:

The correct answer which take is done on which horn is given in post #6.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm going with number 2..... but have yet to get one of those right...
Either way the first one sounds the best to me....seems like it has the most harmonics and is spread the most...
As has been stated many times... you sound like you, which is very good, IMO... you just bring out each horns capabilities...
I'm not much of a Selmer guy, I prefer my vintage Keilwerth's so maybe that's leaning me toward the first horn.

·
Premium Member
18,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rflynn for being the first to listen and comment :).

I will not yet reveal the answers, but your score wasn't 0 and also not 100% :mrgreen:.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mrpeebee, how long until you post results? I am going to be quite embarrassed if I have mistaken an SA80 for a BA or SBA!
But to my defense, I was listening to my tablet, which has crappy speakers... ;-)

·
Premium Member
18,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rflynn, actually it's not so easy as people might think to pick the correct sax from soundclips. Normally people will listen with a pre-set mind, for instance that a SA80 can't sound better than a BA for instance. Also we are dealing with individual instruments, which makes it hard to judge about a complete model. You can have a great BA or a bad BA in the compare, same goes for the SBA and SA80 (in my clips all three are great tenors, only the player sucks!). So IMO you should never be embarressed about what you think is right, a big part of it is anyhow a gamble :).

I won't reveal the results yet, because this thread only just started and received till now limited interest of fellow SOTW members with 149 views, 4 votes and 1 reply in the thread (you!). I want to give it some more time. But I will pm you in a few minutes from now to reveal the correct results :).

·
Registered
536 Posts
I thought the first one sounded a bit harsh to my ears, I liked the sound of the other two better, my favourite being the last one. I though that the first one was the SA80, the second the BA, and the third being the SBA, based on my experiences with these horns, and IMO you sound most comfortable on the last one. Nice takes.

Brandon

·
Registered
293 Posts
It sounded like the first solo had water or some kind of buzz on the reed that would distort the real sound of that horn, which suggests a different recording occasion then the other two, which suggests the Super Action as T1, not that I've ever been within a foot of any Selmer. No call to apologize for that playing. You can play.

·
Premium Member
18,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for listening and commenting guys.

I thought the first one sounded a bit harsh to my ears, I liked the sound of the other two better, my favourite being the last one. I though that the first one was the SA80, the second the BA, and the third being the SBA, based on my experiences with these horns, and IMO you sound most comfortable on the last one. Nice takes.

Brandon
Spot on analysis Brandon :).

It sounded like the first solo had water or some kind of buzz on the reed that would distort the real sound of that horn, which suggests a different recording occasion then the other two, which suggests the Super Action as T1, not that I've ever been within a foot of any Selmer. No call to apologize for that playing. You can play.
Also spot on tenorsfan :). The horn in the first clip didn't get service for a very long time (I played it only 3 or 4 times since 1995!), so I had to put a lot more air through it to compensate for the less easy response. That made it probably a bit more harsh and buzzy than the other horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
My favorite tone was the first sax. You also seemed to play more fluently on it, so I'm guessing the SBA since that is your main horn. But if it isn't your SBA, you should make it your main horn. :) oops, i just read the post previous to mine. But my opinion about the tone remains.

·
Premium Member
18,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My favorite tone was the first sax. You also seemed to play more fluently on it, so I'm guessing the SBA since that is your main horn. But if it isn't your SBA, you should make it your main horn. :) oops, i just read the post previous to mine. But my opinion about the tone remains.
Thanks for listening Honeyboy. The sax in the first clip is IMO the most brightest and focust one of the three, but I personally prefer a darker and more spread sound (like in clip 3). Also, based on what you can't hear but what you can feel while playing, the sax in clip 1 can't compete with the one in clip 3. Both are fine horns, but still there is a big difference between them :).

·
Premium Member
18,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My favorite was the second one. Seemed the least fuzzy/ more compact and clear to my ears. I don't know which horn it was but with my preconceived notions of these horns my guess would be its the SA80
Thanks Sean. Indeed clip 2 has the most clean sound, but it wasn't the SA80. Brandon (McFlurry129) gave the correct sequence in post #6.

·
Premium Member
18,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Crazy. You sound sooo wide on the SA80. I've never heard one sound that way before.
My SA80 didn't get service for a very long time (I played it only 3 or 4 times since 1995!), so I had to put a lot more air through that horn to compensate for the less easy response. I think that's what made it sound quite edgy in this clip.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for listening and commenting guys.

Spot on analysis Brandon :).

Also spot on tenorsfan :). The horn in the first clip didn't get service for a very long time (I played it only 3 or 4 times since 1995!), so I had to put a lot more air through it to compensate for the less easy response. That made it probably a bit more harsh and buzzy than the other horns.
Interesting. I just listened and guessed without looking at the thread, and based on very little listening, ended up with the correct result, despite having never played any of these horns, and only heard a few SBA's (Coltrane's, and --- once --- a local guy). I thought the first was the SA80 just because I didn't like it that well, thought it sounded a bit "muzzy", and the contemporary Selmer (which I think was a Ref 54 however) that I played in the shop had a bit of the same sort of muzziness. But it was probably just the servicing issue that you mention! I liked both 2 and 3 on the basis of tone, thought 3 was a bit more focused and had a little more soulfulness or "cry" than 2 (and both had more than 1), but the main reason I guessed it was the SBA is that it sounded like you were more comfortable on it, and I've heard that the SBAs featured improved playability relative the BA's, especially early ones. Funny, I wouldn't have said either was "darker and more spread" than no. 1, though, on the basis ofthe clip. I guess it's an illustration of how subjective these terms are, and maybe also of the difference between what the player hears and what the mic hears... Thanks Mr. PeeBee--- a fun listen.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My order of preference was #2, #3 then #1.. I thought the BA would be #3, since it seemed the most spread of the three. I liked #2 (the BA) for its compactness and clarity, yet still had a complexity to the sound. #1 sounded a bit brash and not as defined as #2. #3 was similar to #2, but lacking that clarity that I liked in #2.

Surprised #2 was the BA. I typically associate a spread and dark sound with the BA, like Ben Webster.

·
Premium Member
18,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My order of preference was #2, #3 then #1.. I thought the BA would be #3, since it seemed the most spread of the three. I liked #2 (the BA) for its compactness and clarity, yet still had a complexity to the sound. #1 sounded a bit brash and not as defined as #2. #3 was similar to #2, but lacking that clarity that I liked in #2.

Surprised #2 was the BA. I typically associate a spread and dark sound with the BA, like Ben Webster.
Thanks for listening sugaki :). Mabye #3 (SBA) sounded more spread than you expected because it's a bare brass horn, or does that not make a difference in sound? (Oeps, I hope this question is not a can of worms :bluewink:!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts