Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I don't have one and don't plan to buy one (I already have several very good altos, and this one is really expensive). But it seems to be a very fine instrument. For more information, you can see -and listen- to

·
Registered
56 Posts
The new features listed in the video are:
  • new bell bore
  • new neck bore
  • hinged toggle on left-hand pinky table
  • octave key system with teflon inside the sockets
  • redesigned front f key
  • realignment of the left-hand pearls
  • modified diameters and location of tone holes
  • improved C# correction system
  • direct adjustment arm between F and F# keys
  • SML-style 3 point neck clamp
  • redesigned shape of side keys

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm looking forward to the day when one of theses come to my shop for a service. This may take a while.

"Eight years ago, we set ourselves a challenge: to design the best saxophone ever made."
This is a big statement. I'm thinking new inventions and something really groundbreaking. I'm thinking about Conn 30m, Leblanc SR, saxello and other makers and models with new patents, ideas and exciting improvements.

My expectations after their first statement was a bit too high.
There are no huge inventions or big news though as I understand the video and website - other than the"3-point concentric clamp" that SML invented with 4 slots many decades ago.
On the other hand, it's very hard to know what everything means. I'm curious about the "Correction mechanism for the middle and high C#". Might be a cool feature.

These are of course appreciated but not groundbreaking:
  • Shorter action of the right-hand pinky spatula keys.
  • Shorter action of the octave key.
  • Lightening of the C# correction system
  • Octave key system with Teflon
I'm not complaining. I'm really excited about this new model, I just had way to high expectations after the initial statement.
I think it will be a great saxophone with improved quality, design and intonation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So Selmer expects ( U.S. ) to pay $8,500 plus taxes for an alto ? ! They are seriously bugging ! I love the Selmer tone , BUT the inherent resistance is a bit much for me . I still have a Ref.54 Flamingo Alto w/o F# key that stays in the closet . For $8,500 USD , I can buy 3 Yanagisawa AWO1's or an AWO1 and a TWO1 or an AWO1 and a SWO1 and well you get the picture . Thank you Selmer , but I'll stick to my Yanagisawa AWO2 UL , TWO2 UL and SWO2 UL respectively . 🤑💰💵💸

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,088 Posts
Well, Powell expected people to pay $10,000 for an alto ( ever heard of the Powell Silver Eagle ?) so, from this point of view the horns is cheap, and please, any flutist knows that in the middle high segment their instruments cost easily $10,000 .

I think this is a good example of the new marketing by the new majority owners of the Brand (which is now owned only in part by the Selmer family), they promised more aggressive marketing and we have go it.

Whether it truly “ redefines” the saxophone in the 21st century, we shall see.

Reactions: musefound

·
Registered
40 Posts
I imagine a tenor one is coming at some point.
The lineup is becoming quite complicated? Axos, SA80II, serie III, references, now this Supreme...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nice that they used the triple strap hook. You would think others would have used it a long time ago. Its not like its an expensive part when you are assembling a sax.
No, they used a single strap hook.
The "3-point concentric clamp " is for the neck tenon receiver.
I agree that a triple strap hook would be a rather cheap upgrade but Selmer didn't go for it this time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
And maybe this is why Selmer is buying saxophones from their customers? ;)
I never expected Selmer to resell the buy back horns . I imagined they would melt all that old brass and then come up with NEW horns and say " Brass From The Past " horns . Get a new horn with vintage brass . They already have the molds .

·
Registered
56 Posts
I never expected Selmer to resell the buy back horns . I imagined they would melt all that old brass and then come up with NEW horns and say " Brass From The Past " horns . Get a new horn with vintage brass . They already have the molds .
That would be a crazy expensive move, three kilos of scrap metal for thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, Powell expected people to pay $10,000 for an alto ( ever heard of the Powell Silver Eagle ?) so, from this point of view the horns is cheap, and please, any flutist knows that in the middle high segment their instruments cost easily $10,000 .

I think this is a good example of the new marketing by the new majority owners of the Brand (which is now owned only in part by the Selmer family), they promised more aggressive marketing and we have go it.

Whether it truly “ redefines” the saxophone in the 21st century, we shall see.
Can't comp
That would be a crazy expensive move, three kilos of scrap metal for thousands of dollars.
There's a sucker born every minute . . .

1 - 20 of 390 Posts