Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was curious to hear from people re: tip openings of the Selmer Super Session. I actually own an F for soprano. It's a nice piece, but am debating moving to a bigger opening. Any recommendations? I want a versatile piece.

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I use the J opening on soprano Super Sessions (three of them and they all play alike, all from different sources - I write that because many write that Selmers are inconsistent - and my experience hasn't shown that). I once had an "I" (came with a new Selmer Serie III soprano which I no longer own) and I gave the "I" to my daughter. I have a SS-E which I bought to experiment with the closer-tip/harder reed school of soprano playing. The J's are far superior, I believe, and I have heard the same thing from several players who made the switch to the J and were pleased with the results.

For me the trick was to find a good brand/cut/strength of cane reeds for the SS-J. The Vandoren Javas #2 were a bit on the weak side but the Vandoren ZZ #2's were perfect. And, I shaved down all of the reeds I used for the SS-J and made every one of them play. With the SS-J I can make the horns roar (I never play into a microphone) or whisper and intonation is excellent. If you want to go more open, go all the way to the J. DAVE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts