Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a yamaha 875ex with a g3 neck. It plays perfectly in tune with the stock yamaha mouthpiece. When I put the super session E on there, the tuning in the upper register goes way sharp. Is there any thing I can do to get it to play in tune with this mouth piece? Any one else tried this combination?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't know how advanced you are of a player, but the SSE is a MUCH bigger tip than the stock piece. Maybe you're pinching a bit on the upper register? Try softer reeds or a looser embouchure?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Sounds like classic pinching or "biting" to me. Try a softer reed, practice long tones, and relax your embuchure! You'll sound worse, before you sound better, and it'll feel awful and weird (been there!), but when you learn it right, your tone and intonation will be spot on (well, as spot on as a sax can be ;) ).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I did some very scientific testing and found that I couldn't play in tune with either my selmer super session E or my meyer 5m. But when I put the yamaha custom 4 that came with the alto, wala, the intonation is perfect. It's definitely not my embouchure. The tuning is just wild. It never locks in on middle D, E and most other notes. Plus, I used those two mouthpieces when I used to have my yani and never had any tuning problems. It's impossible (or maybe just extremeley, excessively challenging) to play this alto in tune with those other two pieces. Fortunately, the custom is a solid mouthpiece. I'm going to try giving a 7 a try if I can find where to buy one...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
1,596 Posts
Okay, I did some very scientific testing and found that I couldn't play in tune with either my selmer super session E or my meyer 5m. But when I put the yamaha custom 4 that came with the alto, wala, the intonation is perfect. It's definitely not my embouchure. The tuning is just wild. It never locks in on middle D, E and most other notes. Plus, I used those two mouthpieces when I used to have my yani and never had any tuning problems. It's impossible (or maybe just extremeley, excessively challenging) to play this alto in tune with those other two pieces. Fortunately, the custom is a solid mouthpiece. I'm going to try giving a 7 a try if I can find where to buy one...
No that's your embouchure. It's the mouthpiece if it's only one mouthpiece, but if it's a whole bunch of mouthpieces it means YOU are pinching the bigger tip openings to play like your 4CM.

Sorry if I sound like an @$$ right now, but it's definitely your chops dude. If you get a 7CM it's going to be the same thing because your bitting when playing in the upper register. Work on your intonation but do it with a piano, or a tuning CD, get used to using your ears. because the moment you don't see the tuner the bad habits are gonna come back.

And this stuff takes time, everyone has gone through it. Good luck and have fun finding the piece that works for you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No that's your embouchure. It's the mouthpiece if it's only one mouthpiece, but if it's a whole bunch of mouthpieces it means YOU are pinching the bigger tip openings to play like your 4CM.

Sorry if I sound like an @$$ right now, but it's definitely your chops dude. If you get a 7CM it's going to be the same thing because your bitting when playing in the upper register. Work on your intonation but do it with a piano, or a tuning CD, get used to using your ears. because the moment you don't see the tuner the bad habits are gonna come back.

And this stuff takes time, everyone has gone through it. Good luck and have fun finding the piece that works for you.
Thanks for your response. Of course I'm not going to buy another mouthpiece if I know I'm going to have the same tuning problems. I thought my em brochure was fine since I'm able to play in tune with the 4CM, but I see your point - the other mouthpieces have bigger tip openings and that's the difference. Fortunately I do have a piano to tune to, but you're right it's gonna take time. I made progress today but was still frustrated that I couldn't control my intonation when I put the 4CM down...I got a jazzier sound though on either the meyer or selmer, hehe. Which is why I want to be able to play on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts

·
8,588 Posts
I don't understand why I would buy it now. It's practically all in the samples!
Because you have to click on each one to get it to play on Amazon. As a CD or MP3 download, you can innovate to your hearts content a half-step higher at a time without once having to set the horn down. Worth the $10 in my opinion.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Unfortunately only available in the USA

·
8,588 Posts
Maddenma, thanks....

Sometimes here on SOW I just randomly read junk... and find pearls. This is one of those times. I am ordering a CD tonight
I'm glad you said "pearls" instead of "chestnuts". Because, most folks here would assume that there was a horse associated with any chestnut that came out of me. :joker:

If you don't get the joke, look up "horse chestnut" at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chestnut. Definition 6. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI. I was able to resolve my intonation issues with the selmer super session E. I did three things: 1) Went from vandoren java 2.5 to a rico jazz select 2H which is a bit softer than the vandoren 2.5 and helps me avoid biting, 2) I sat down. My standing posture is killing my intonation. When I sit, I play more in tune so I need to work on that, 3) and last but most important, I bought the tuning CD. It's perfect, and so much easier than just breaking out my MP3 recorder and recording the notes from my piano myself. Brilliant idea. LOL! I now know for sure that the horn and mpc were never the problem. SOTW has stopped my GAS once again!

·
6,831 Posts
FYI. I was able to resolve my intonation issues with the selmer super session E. I did three things: 1) Went from vandoren java 2.5 to a rico jazz select 2H which is a bit softer than the vandoren 2.5 and helps me avoid biting, 2) I sat down. My standing posture is killing my intonation. When I sit, I play more in tune so I need to work on that, 3) and last but most important, I bought the tuning CD. It's perfect, and so much easier than just breaking out my MP3 recorder and recording the notes from my piano myself. Brilliant idea. LOL! I now know for sure that the horn and mpc were never the problem. SOTW has stopped my GAS once again!

That's funny. SOTW started my GAS! lol

·
1,596 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I've got a yamaha 875ex with a g3 neck. It plays perfectly in tune with the stock yamaha mouthpiece. When I put the super session E on there, the tuning in the upper register goes way sharp. Is there any thing I can do to get it to play in tune with this mouth piece? Any one else tried this combination?
Also take note of how much shorter the Super Session mouthpiece is in overall length compared to your stock Yamaha one and don't push it onto the cork as far as you would do with the Yamaha one.

·
8,588 Posts
No question that they're a bit different. The tuning CD is essentially drone tones, but they don't vary. Matt's might be more interesting to improv' to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts