Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Selmer Super (Radio Improved/Cigar Cutter) Social Group

If there already is a Selmer Super Club, my apologies. I had a search and didn't come up with anything. My pal recently sold his BA for a Radio Improved and it plays like a dream, with a slightly different tonal quality compared to BA's and VI's. Now it seems I will be joining him, as it looks like I will be acquiring a 1932 Super! I am very happy! I am a long time Conn New Wonder player and am really looking forward to experimenting with a Super, my first vintage Selmer!

Anyone feel like chiming in with their impressions of owning or playing Selmer Supers or other pre BA and Mark VI Selmers?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Re: Selmer Super (Radio Improved/Cigar Cutter) Social Group

If there already is a Selmer Super Club, my apologies. I had a search and didn't come up with anything. My pal recently sold his BA for a Radio Improved and it plays like a dream, with a slightly different tonal quality compared to BA's and VI's. Now it seems I will be joining him, as it looks like I will be acquiring a 1932 Super! I am very happy! I am a long time Conn New Wonder player and am really looking forward to experimenting with a Super, my first vintage Selmer!

Anyone feel like chiming in with their impressions of owning or playing Selmer Supers or other pre BA and Mark VI Selmers?
Congrats on the '32 Super .. is it an alto or tenor ?

I picked up a '34 Radio Improved alto last year after wanting one for years, and it's a great horn .

I tried an alto and tenor pair of RIs about 20 years ago and was really knocked out by the alto in particular .

I liked the tenor also but was playing a MK VI and had other tenors at the time(Conn 30M King Super, etc) so the tenor
wasn't as attractive. Could've gotten the pair of them for a great price as the seller was in need of cash.

Anyway, I passed on the deal, but always had that alto's tone in the back of my mind, so it was great to finally get one
I use an old brass Dukoff Hollywood mouthpiece from the early 50's and it's a really great match .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Sign me up . . . a 1932 gold-plated alto Cigar Cutter (160xx). It is a player, alright - very resonant. I can't say the tone is much different from all of the other altos in my closet. Mine sounds just like an alto saxophone. DAVE

·
4,680 Posts

Ahh, sorry forgot to mention, it's a tenor!
Cool ! I'm curious to see how you like it compared to your Conn NW tenor . I have a '32 NW II tenor myself .

I have Selmer tenor a couple years older than your Super which puts it in the so-called "Large Bore" era and just
after the Modele 26 models -- it was made in 1929 . Sounds great but it tunes a bit sharp in the bell keys.

I intend to get crescents installed to correct that issue but I have so many tenors that I'm not worried about it
at the moment. I suspect you'll have the same issue since that was the design flaw in this period of Selmer tenors.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts

Cool ! I'm curious to see how you like it compared to your Conn NW tenor . I have a '32 NW II tenor myself .

I have Selmer tenor a couple years older than your Super which puts it in the so-called "Large Bore" era and just
after the Modele 26 models -- it was made in 1929 . Sounds great but it tunes a bit sharp in the bell keys.

I intend to get crescents installed to correct that issue but I have so many tenors that I'm not worried about it
at the moment. I suspect you'll have the same issue since that was the design flaw in this period of Selmer tenors.
You play an old Conn and think a Selmer would be more out of tune?
Sincerely doubt it.
I won’t go as far back as you guys, but I have a 1938 Balanced Action tenor and I had a 10M from around the same year.
If you’d sit them side by side, you wouldn’t think they’re the same instrument. The Conn looks medieval next to a Balanced Action.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Very nice trio Liam. :)

Do you still have the BA?
Thanks Peter. Yes, I still have the BA here. I was comparing it to the other tenors a few weeks ago and the BA is probably the brightest sounding of the three horns. Greedily, I do like them all :)

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Thanks Liam, nice horn collection!

I recently sold by back-up SA80 tenor, wouldn't mind to have a Super tenor as new back-up (or even main horn!) next to my 1953 SBA tenor.

·
4,680 Posts
Thanks Peter. Yes, I still have the BA here. I was comparing it to the other tenors a few weeks ago and the BA is probably the brightest sounding of the three horns. Greedily, I do like them all :)
Have you tried switching the necks between the RI and Super tenor ? RI and BA tenor ?

I'm curious how much of the sound of the individual horns is in the neck .

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Have you tried switching the necks between the RI and Super tenor ? RI and BA tenor ?

I'm curious how much of the sound of the individual horns is in the neck .
Unfortunately the necks aren't really interchangeable. I guess the neck tenons have been adjusted differently over the years for a tight fit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts