Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys - I'm in the market for a Selmer Paris Soprano and I saw this one on Reverb. I played a Selmer Paris Model 51 yesterday at a local store and I love the sound that it produces, but...I can't afford to pay $5500 for a sax! I have no idea what a used one would go for, can you all take a look at this link and tell me what you think? There's a short video of the seller playing it. Is it priced right or is it too much? Anything else I should know as I begin my search?

https://reverb.com/item/516981-selmer-super-action-80-soprano-sax-1985-original-lacquer

·
Registered
134 Posts
That horn has been played a lot. Not a bad thing, just something to be conscious of. To get it in top playing condition, if it hasn't been overhauled already can be some serious money. Ask him/her if it has been overhauled recently. If the horn has been fully overhauled recently, and the keywork is fit well, and it only needs a few pads, then it is priced pretty well. If it needs some work to get everything tight, i would talk about lowering the price a little bit.
The horns play well if they are in good condition. Should be a sweet deal if you could get it for >2k but that's is a pretty respectable price, given what i see in the pictures.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,192 Posts
Make sure you can try the horn. Pre S-III sopranos by Selmer aren't always up to what one expects. Specifically, if you still have the 475 stated in your signature, it might well be ways easier to play than most one-piece Selmers, specially in the low and high ends of the range. As you can see in my signature, I'm a very loyal Selmerist, but prefer Japanese sopranos all the way, mainly for playability reasons. Now, there are exceptions, I recently played an amazing MkVI soprano. So again, try that specific horn. If it clicks, go for it.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,646 Posts
From the ad:
"Its been played but also completely serviced with most of its pads replaced in the past year. Gone over by my own tech and ready for serious use."

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure you can try the horn. Pre S-III sopranos by Selmer aren't always up to what one expects. Specifically, if you still have the 475 stated in your signature, it might well be ways easier to play than most one-piece Selmers, specially in the low and high ends of the range. As you can see in my signature, I'm a very loyal Selmerist, but prefer Japanese sopranos all the way, mainly for playability reasons. Now, there are exceptions, I recently played an amazing MkVI soprano. So again, try that specific horn. If it clicks, go for it.
Thanks Dex, I'm seriously considering making a few adjustments to my mouthpiece, reed and ligature before I spring the money on a horn. My Yamaha is extremely easy to play, but a little too free blowing. I've also played a few dual neck horns and I like the resistance they offer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts