Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
For a true used horn (i.e., one that actually has been owned and played for a least a couple of years) in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition, I'd say the market price is in the range of the high $2k's to the low $3k's. Whether the sax is Jubilee or pre-Jubilee is important; the Jubilee model probably will cost a few hundred dollars more than a pre-Jubilee in comparable condition.

You should consult the "Sold" listing on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ies+III+alto&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1. You can check Reverb too, but remember that the prices advertised are not necessarily the prices paid.

For a "used" Series III that's offered as a shop demo or other barely touched, "mint" specimen, you'll probably see quoted prices that are $1k-$3k more than the above. These are almost always Jubilee models, because anything pre-Jubilee will be too old to support this kind of aggressive pricing. Whether it's worth paying substantially more money just to edge even closer to brand-new condition is your call. If you can get a grade A or A- used horn for ~$3k-$3.5K, why pay $5k or $6k just for a grade A+ used horn?

Btw, "Super Action 80" is not part of the name. It's just Series III, or Serie III in French.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Well, the discussion above should give you an idea of what to ask for if you put the horn on eBay or Reverb. Without seeing your sax in close-up detail, it's impossible to be certain, but my guess is that if you ask for more than $4k, you'll have a long wait. If you ask for $6k, you'll probably have a very long wait. Pricing within the sweet spot will give you a fighting chance, depending on the other inventory that's available. If you want a quicker sale, price below the sweet spot. I bought a used Jubilee Series III alto on eBay late last year, and I've been very pleased with it.

As far as local sales go, you'll have to be the judge of the prevailing pricing in your city or region.

Another option is consignment. Here's a thread with my suggestions about that: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?237831-Consignment-sale-tips.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Administrator note:

Thanks. I’m actually looking to sell the one I have.
Just a reminder that SOTW does not permit buying/selling/trading on the forum for new members of less than six months and fifty posts. And when it is permissible, it is only in the MARKETPLACE area, which is viewable to members after they have achieved the required perimeters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to ask- are the Series 2’s really holding as much value as the series 3’s these days? I see a lot of Series 2’s going for almost the same as the 3 but don’t know if they actually sell for the asking price. It’s known that the 3’s are more valued in the classical world than jazz/pop so maybe that’s a factor?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I forgot to ask- are the Series 2’s really holding as much value as the series 3’s these days? I see a lot of Series 2’s going for almost the same as the 3 but don’t know if they actually sell for the asking price. It’s known that the 3’s are more valued in the classical world than jazz/pop so maybe that’s a factor?
Age, condition, and Jubilee status being equal, a used Series II typically will sell for a few hundred dollars less than a used Series III. There are two main reasons for this: (i) the retail price of a Series II is slightly lower, and (ii) there are more used Series II horns in circulation, since that model has been in production longer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
825 Posts
I sold a Series III Alto on EBay about 2 years ago for $2,400.00 + shipping. It was 8 years old at the time, I believe, and it was in nearly flawless condition. Obviously not a Jubilee.

I agree that looking at the EBay advanced search - and checking off "sold" listings is a great indicator of market value.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sold a Series III Alto on EBay about 2 years ago for $2,400.00 + shipping. It was 8 years old at the time, I believe, and it was in nearly flawless condition. Obviously not a Jubilee.

I agree that looking at the EBay advanced search - and checking off "sold" listings is a great indicator of market value.
Wow I thought the series 3’s retailed for a lot more than the 2’s did. Seems there’s not much price difference between the two. I’ve had mine for a decade. Am I guessing right that the 3’s really dropped in value?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
825 Posts
Wow I thought the series 3’s retailed for a lot more than the 2’s did. Seems there’s not much price difference between the two. I’ve had mine for a decade. Am I guessing right that the 3’s really dropped in value?
The best indicator is the Ebay sold listings. I purchased my III for a bit less than I sold it for, after having it ~ 1 year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts