Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for an experienced opinion. I just bought what appears to be a Selmer SSS alto mouthpiece. It sounds pretty good as is, but the tip is only .045, I'd like to have it opened up a bit. Would this be a worthwhile endeavour, or does it have collector value and thus, should be left as it is. Thanks in advance.

Jared.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I am not quite sure what model it is. I assume it is an early model or a short shank soloist but that facing would be really closed. Does it have a size marking?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have only ever seen these mouthpieces in photos and maybe even only one photo...I have never personally seen one or held one in my hand. In my opinion, this one would be more of a collector's item put in the case of an SSS to increase the appearance of its originality and possibly, its value. If I were you I would find a different mouthpiece to open up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not quite sure what model it is. I assume it is an early model or a short shank soloist but that facing would be really closed. Does it have a size marking?

It doesn't, it has FRANCE stamped on it near the table, but it's barely legible. All of the other markings have been rubbed off over time it appears. It does seem to be very closed though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have only ever seen these mouthpieces in photos and maybe even only one photo...I have never personally seen one or held one in my hand. In my opinion, this one would be more of a collector's item put in the case of an SSS to increase the appearance of its originality and possibly, its value. If I were you I would find a different mouthpiece to open up.

That's a good idea, I don't want to spoil a collectors piece.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
After your last comment I am confused about what you have...you say 'all the other markings have been rubbed off over time.'

Does it have the lettering 'SSS' on it or not ?

I have seen a photo of a Selmer mouthpiece from about 1930 that actually had the interlocking 'SSS' letters on it - the same logo that was engraved on a 'Selmer Super Sax' which is the horn that the mouthpiece came with and this is what I thought you were referring to ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts