Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just bought a vintage Selmer Long Shank Soloist Style with the horse shoe chamber, but what are the main differences between mine and the soloist with "Soloist" printed on the table?

Regards!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
In general it means that the piece will sound a bit darker. Whether that is good or bad for you depends on what you want out of a mpc. The higher (or more ) the baffle, the brighter it will sound. (there's a bit more to it as well but that's the most ear catching thing)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
FWIW- Phil Engelmann (Phil Tone) does a great job with these. He takes a "Soloist style" and modifies it, adding a slight roll over, making it much closer to the old Soloists at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard the style was more or less the same, but didn´t know what the main difference´s were... Until I found Theo Wanne´s explaination... Guess the roll over is the only thing.

I´m happy with it, the sound is good! Just struggeling a little with what reeds to use, haven´t found the right setting yet. It´s my first alto & first alto mouthpiece. Always played tenor with Vandoren 3 and Otto Link 7*.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts